Best way to flush the cooling system on a 7.3??

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping in the next couple of days to get the time to change the thermostat and put some fresh antifreeze in my recently aquired 93. I am wanting to enshure I get as much rust/sludge residue from the cooling system as reasonably possible. Is there some type of drain plug along the bottom of the block somewhere that will help with a more complete draining job to get more sediment if it is there??

NextENRG

Reaction score
cascade dishwasher soap.....run it for 3-5 days. you'll be suprised at the amount of crap that comes out.

id recommend installing a bypass coolant filter w/ sca charge after you refill

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two drain plugs in the block; one on each side. You might have to pull the starter to access the one on the passenger's side.

Take a look here for a couple of pictures of the drain plug locations. I would recommend installing petcocks in place of the plugs, to make this easier the next time you do it.

Beyond that, putting a T-fitting in the heater hose going into the cylinder head would help with flushing the system out. I've never tried dishwasher soap, but I used the Prestone Cooling System cleaner with good results. Certainly, you can't flush too much water through the system...when you think you're done, go at it again ;) And, as the last poster pointed out, a coolant filter's a really good idea. It's inexpensive, and it'll really help with long-term maintenance. Take a look here for one suggested way to install it, and there are a few other ways also that you can find through a search.

Hope that helps...good luck!

(No, I"m not trying to self-promote; I don't know what you're talking about ;) )

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A great way to keep it free of crud and particulate is to add a coolant filter. You'd be very surprized at how much junk is circulating in the coolant system. Using a filter precharged with DCA is also an easy way to keep engine protected from cavitation as well.

Heath

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys- I ran into some issues while changing the thermostat. Think I will start a new thread about it though.