best way to find air leaks?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been trying to figure out why my truck will not start unless i plug the block heater in or use ether. I just replaced the gp relay and the glow plugs, even though i had a feeling the old ones were still working. i have voltage going to the plugs, plus a manual glow plug switch so i can keep them on longer. I pulled one of the gp's out after having them on for over 10 seconds and it was hot so i know they are heating up.

the only things left that i can think of are an air leak, an IP problem, or low compression on the engine.

it would be pretty sweet to find out this is just an air leak instead of a worn out engine, and an IP problem seems the least likely to me because it starts when warm and runs perfect but does not start when cold even in summer.

anyway, i was thinking to put a section of clear hose right at the injection pump return line to look for air bubbles. Does this seem like a good way to start? Do these pumps return enough fuel at idle (or just cranking) for me to be able to see much through the clear line?

on a slightly different note, has anyone ever had an IP that would not start the engine when cold but work fine when the engine is warmed up and drive fine? The last time i had a pump wear out it was the opposite - started perfect when cold but not when hot, especially if i let it sit for an hour after shutting down. could a pump actually have the opposite problem as well?

thanks,
Paul