Best way to clean engine bay?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprised no else mentioned it but I use Purple Power from AdvanceAuto. It works like Super clean but alot cheaper. I spray down my engine bay (cold engine) then just hose it off. every 2 oil changes keep it clean.
And if your really nuts like me I hit it with some cheap tire foam in a spray can for that better than new look.

You must be registered for see images attach

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mix diesel with my degreasers, part for part, then I dilute with water, essentially 24% degreaser du jour, 25% diesel, 50% water, pour it into weedsprayer, shake it profusely, and then liberally coat the motor. the diesel suspends the degreaser and allows it to stay in place, working on the grime, count off a couple of minutes, then turn a Hotsy *(Landa is preferred brand) loose at all of its 180 degree glory. when done, it should resemble the motor pictured above.

Been detailing since 1994, and other than water in a dizzy/plugs, never killed a motor.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mix diesel with my degreasers, part for part, then I dilute with water, essentially 24% degreaser du jour, 25% diesel, 50% water, pour it into weedsprayer, shake it profusely, and then liberally coat the motor. the diesel suspends the degreaser and allows it to stay in place, working on the grime, count off a couple of minutes, then turn a Hotsy *(Landa is preferred brand) loose at all of its 180 degree glory. when done, it should resemble the motor pictured above.

Been detailing since 1994, and other than water in a dizzy/plugs, never killed a motor.

With that concoction plus the Hotsy I'd suspect you would say good buy to most of your stickers and engine paint. Great though if your going for a repaint.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I didn't say do it on a hot engine.Fire the truck up and wash the engine while still cold.Get more blow by that way too so more crank case pressure.Or you could just do it when you do an oil change.Wash,dry,Wax,polish,buff,drain,refill and drive.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that concoction plus the Hotsy I'd suspect you would say good buy to most of your stickers and engine paint. Great though if your going for a repaint.

Untrue.

The hotsy alone will threaten stickers, but paint seems to last just fine. Hella good for ridding cosmolene off a motor.

After you get to that point, we will discuss wheel acid, and its ability to be amazing....

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I washed it down with Purple Power, then rinsed. I did this about 5 times.. It is SO much cleaner! That stuff works as good as Super Clean, but you get a 2.5 gallon jug for the same price as a Super Clean spray bottle! ;Sweet

I vacuumed all of the water out that I could get to, but should I be worried about water getting past the glow plugs? The glow plug areas were full of water for awhile.. I didn't notice the water level drop, but I don't want to hydro-lock it... I'm going to let it sit all day, then drain the oil this evening, change filter, and refill with Rotella. ;Sweet;Sweet

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your post! Do you have any suggestions for those of us who can't afford a $7000 hot pressure washer?
What can the average guy do with his own trucks/cars?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Water wont leak in past the glow plugs.. Think about it... If something could leak in just by gravity... Then something under a whole lot of pressure is going to be blowing out. These motors make some high cranking pressure but... Think how high it is when the motor is running... Just cranking my motor makes 530 lbs of compression. Add 12 lbs of boost running 2500 rpm. Ya think maybe 150 to 2000 lbs of running compression...:eek::sly

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i have used this before its super strong and works wonders removes all the grease instantly :sly
You must be registered for see images
its at Home Depo and cheap to. you are soupost to water it down but i just put it on a spray bottle :D

Warning this stuff contains a good dosage of sodium hydroxide. a very powerful de greaser. If you get it on your skin it can/will burn you and the fumes are probibly toxic also don't leave it on the aluminum parts of your engine to long or they will dissolve

I bet that stuff cleans...but I dang sure wouldn't use it anywhere there were rubber or plastic parts that could possibly get any exposure to the stuff. That sodium hydroxide is caustic soda... seriously nasty stuff. It'll take anything off, but it also won't leave anything behind. I use caustic soda for cleaning air conditioning coils when they are out , it's a standard coil cleaner, but never around any other parts. That stuff should only be used as a loose parts cleaner, never to wash down an engine. You could do some serious long term seal damage with that stuff.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water wont leak in past the glow plugs.. Think about it... If something could leak in just by gravity... Then something under a whole lot of pressure is going to be blowing out. These motors make some high cranking pressure but... Think how high it is when the motor is running... Just cranking my motor makes 530 lbs of compression. Add 12 lbs of boost running 2500 rpm. Ya think maybe 150 to 2000 lbs of running compression...:eek::sly

I realized that shortly after posting. :D;Sweet The engine looks much cleaner, is now filled with Rotella ( no idea what PO had in there ) , and it has the MUCH larger K&N HP6001 filter. ;Sweet While cleaning the engine I noticed it needs a new air filter, so I will have to grab one the next time I'm in town..

Thanks guys.

-Dallas