Best way to clean engine bay?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to spray the engine down with super clean, and hose it down? What about a pressure washer?

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is safe then i would suggest Engine Brite Citrus or Greased Lightning. Simple Green works great but it isnt as strong as GL.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
a few weeks ago I knocked off a return line while installing a new throttle cable. man all that diesel gushing out cleaned up the back of the engine nicely. i dont recommend this method at all. I emptied out a quarter tank of fuel before figuring out the problem.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you insist on cleaning your engine, DO NOT SPRAY WATER INTO THE INTAKE VALLEY. the rubber grommet on the back of the intake pan is generally not watertight and will allow your crankcase to fill with water.
i never clean my motors unless it is involved in a major rebuild.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like to use oven cleaner on really nasty engines and watch the grime melt away

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It basically looks like it sat outside on a dirt road with the hood off for a few years. It wipes clean, but the whole engine bay is covered in dirt and I would like to clean it up. So I should be ok spraying down the bay as long as I don't spray the engine directly?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can remove the oil drain plug and if the water should find its way inside the engine it can also drain out of it.:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you do drain the oil and leave the plug out of the pan put a note on the steering wheel about this.... You might forget that the oil was drained and try to start it up to dry the motor off when your done... Just a little insurance so things don't end up ruined....:sly

DragRag

Reaction score
if you insist on cleaning your engine, DO NOT SPRAY WATER INTO THE INTAKE VALLEY. the rubber grommet on the back of the intake pan is generally not watertight and will allow your crankcase to fill with water.
i never clean my motors unless it is involved in a major rebuild.

I have to keep mine clean, I pop corn and heat burritos on my engine.:rotflmao:angel:

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
i have used this before its super strong and works wonders removes all the grease instantly :sly
You must be registered for see images
its at Home Depo and cheap to. you are soupost to water it down but i just put it on a spray bottle :D

Warning this stuff contains a good dosage of sodium hydroxide. a very powerful de greaser. If you get it on your skin it can/will burn you and the fumes are probibly toxic also don't leave it on the aluminum parts of your engine to long or they will dissolve

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like greased lightning also, did a pushback in a rainstorm at the SFO airport, worked great on 20 years of Detroit grime.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Since no one here has come up with the best way to clean an engine I'll tell you, COLD.
Do not attempt to clean it hot.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is due for an oil change, so if getting water in the oil is the only concern, I will just spray it down and change the oil..

Thanks guys.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just stripping and painting every part that I take off before putting it back on. I figure pretty soon I'll have the whole engine painted. :eek: