Best way to clean a fuel tank

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well what I am thinking at this point is put a little fuel in it and let it slosh around a bit. I have a transfer pump on it with a clear filter housing so I can pump it out that way and see whats in it I recon. Then I am going to hook it up and use it as my main tank until I can get the stock tanks fixed.

Yes but do it with biodiesel of the highest percentage you can find. It cleans real good. I took a nasty 50 gallon tank out of an old boat once, pumped it dry, threw it in the back of my truck, put 5 gal of B20 in and drove it around for a few days sloshing around. Got lots of nice crud out. Flushed it with a little diesel afterwards.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't lose much sleep over it; it is most likely as clean as any of the tanks on our trucks after all these years.

As for getting the water out, should you opt to rinse/wash it, I recently had to weld on the 52-gallon aluminum auxilliary tank that is on my personal truck.

I pumped out all the fuel and removed the tank.

I flushed it several times with plain old water, then several more times with water/DAWN mixture, then rinsed with plain water again.

This was in late fall and the tank air-dried itself, with no trace of water left inside.

To speed things up, you can warm the sides and bottom with a torch, or better yet, set it on blocks in front of a REDDY-HEATER --- not too close.

If you left a tea-cup of water in there, it would still be less than what is lurking in the bottom of every one of our tanks.

To check for leaks, set the regulator to less than 5-PSI, cap all holes, and connect the air-compressor to the fuel port.

Take a spray-bottle of JOY dish-detergent and squirt it all over, paying close attention to any welds or creases; any leak will manifest itself by foaming.

NO MORE THAN 5-PSI; any more than that will swell the sides and balloon the tank. :eek:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need a permit to transport that much fuel?

Nope. I hauled a 280 gallon tank once and didn't placard it and had no problems. I had to make a trip from here to Fulton,NY and it was back when fuel was almost $5.00 a gallon up there. I got it for $3.00 here so I took it all with me.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
How much is a new transfer tank? I think i would have to have one especially for those long trips across country. Do most crew cab fords have two tanks stock? Or is that a rare option? My dads 97 F250 gasser has 2 tanks and I love it!

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 tanks is standard, but they are both 19's...on the cc dually I am finishinng up swapping a a bronco 33 tank into the rear, and I have seriously though looking into a larger midship tank...I dont want to sacrafice bed space, but I resent the times when I am crossing a state that is massivly more expensive then where I left.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The front tank is 19.5 gallons and the rear tanks are 17.2 gallons... Transfer Flow in Chico Ca sells several replacement tanks. I think the largest rear tank they sell is 42 gallons. They make a nice tank but they are expensive. Check out the web site they have...;Sweet

gatorman21218

Reaction score
heck what about finding LSD somewhere and stocking up??!! I would slosh some alcohol in there or some E85 thats probably cheaper. Ive heard that the E-10 the first few tankfuls you use it it will remove all the gunk in the tank and deposite it in your engine. So just add some ethanol in there and off road a little bit and then drain it.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Does it have a regular 2" dia. fill cap? If so then maybe you could tape a penlight on your mechanics mirror and at least get an idea about the nearer areas..

Attachments

• lightmirror.jpg
    lightmirror.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 5

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
How much is a new transfer tank? I think i would have to have one especially for those long trips across country. Do most crew cab fords have two tanks stock? Or is that a rare option? My dads 97 F250 gasser has 2 tanks and I love it!

A new steel transfer tank is a lil over 300. An aluminum is closer to 500

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have a regular 2" dia. fill cap? If so then maybe you could tape a penlight on your mechanics mirror and at least get an idea about the nearer areas..

Great idea.

On the other hand, sometimes it's best not to know........:eek:

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Damn, I think i'd rather just install some bigger tanks where the stocks ones go. Yea and I'd definately would be kind of against adding a transfer tank in the bed, i love having bed space.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Damn, I think i'd rather just install some bigger tanks where the stocks ones go. Yea and I'd definately would be kind of against adding a transfer tank in the bed, i love having bed space.

I hear that!!! I hate crewcab short beds and thats all they sell nowadays. I aint gonna get started here but ill just say If you dont need a long bed you probably dont need a truck at all.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do you need a permit to transport that much fuel?

I've got a 150 gal tank in my bed, but it's not a transfer tank, it's a DOT approved fuel tank off a semi complete with the approved retaining straps holding it down, so they really couldn't say much. I've got mine plumbed right into the fuel system ;Sweet And now that my manual valves finally got here the other day, I'll finally be able to use the thing again. Stupid factory switchover valve crapped out right after putting a new one in and I've been running on one tank for a while with a rigged transfer setup -cuss

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea if you have a crew cab long beds are the way to go. They wook weird with a shortbed. I'd buy an extended cab with a shortbed but thats the only way. That would be kind of cool to have some mini semi saddle tanks under yer truck in the same spot they are on the semis. But they probably wouldnt last very long when i go offroadn:frustrate