Best place to source a Comp Tester for diesel for 1 time use.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I normally stay away from Harbor Freight for anything that needs to work for an extended period of time, or be accurate, but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to pick up one of their diesel compression testers to check the specks on a few IDI engines I have? I have two of the Comp Testers for gasoline engines and they are both extremely accurate (imagine that) and have been for a few years of sporadic use. If not, what other cheap/free options do I have to finding one (I don't know anyone that has one for a diesel)?

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ,
Is that a no to the HF compression tester... if so could you elaborate? Also, could you pm me your contact info, I want to get some info and possibly order a set off BB injectors from you.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
coletrain

Several members have TRIED to use the HF Diesel tester, but it does not work, most have had to make adapters to get it to work, and then when they get pressure to it, the gauge fails.... so unfortunately the HF kit just does not work..... Do a search and I am sure you will see all the issues others have had.....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injectors are on national backorder, I will post as soon as they come available.
What snicklas said on the HF tester.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I was able to make the HF tester work with the injector adapter, it's the GP adapter that dosent' work. Although, I do know there have been different models from HF over the years so who knows one from the other when they are real similiar.

I wouldn't trust the accuracy of the numbers since the injector adapter does not fill the cylinder as much, but I can say on mine it did indicate a low cylinder and after tear down that cylinder was bad, with a bent rod, so some level of precision is there.

As far as longevity, all I can say is it made it through 8 cylinders.LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
mine broke on the first usage, thats after i figured how to cobble together a adapter. there is a reason they are in the $20 range when a real tester is MUCH more.

it did give me numbers though, i only use them for an indicator, i dont trust the accuracy.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I won't go the HF route. I don't really have to test the compression on the engines, I am going to pull the engine and trans sometime to do a clutch job, and fix a few oil leaks, and I thought I would test the compression of both engines to see which one I wanted to install back in my truck (both are around 140k miles) and both run well. I guess I will try and source a compression tester somewhere else.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me know if you do find a decent priced working one. My HF gauge was bad from the beginning even after I made it work with the cylinder. It would jump around with a variance of about 200 ;Really

also found one online that worked ok on the first couple cylidners then died... might try again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bought the comp tester from Northern Tools and it works ok. I really want t snapon diesel compression tester. Please remember these engines can create as much as 530 lbs of compression. I know my engine does. No gasser tester can handle those high pressure numbers. Buy cheap.... Get cheap.... Sad but true. Check on Ebay for a good tester but figure on spending around $150.00 for a good one. Then you will know its going to work longer than 1 or 8 cylinders...