Best place to get ARP head studs for 6.9?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only other suggestion I have would be if you have a local racing shop that deals with ARP. You can buy them direct from ARP too but Summit used to be cheaper, it looks like they've gone up. Good luck finding the best.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
summit is the cheapest on arp stocked items.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
hey what about those cat bolts that you were talkin about in a previous thread have you found any info on those yet i think it was you that was saying that some cat head bolts would work or something like that

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my 6.9 the machine shop that did the work was able to order the ARP studs for me and I ended up paying around $220 for the set before tax. Although the doe-heads at ARP short changed me 2 nuts and I had to get some grade 8 replacements locally. Couldn't afford to wait the several weeks it would have taken to correct the situation through ARP.

Just make sure you check the packaging when you get it and make sure its complete.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea that was me that talked about the Cat bolts. At this point I cant figure out if they still make them at all or not. It doesnt look like it.
And if they did, I priced what about that size bolt in the grade I was speaking about and they'd cost the same if not more than the head studs.
I wish I could get someone to tell me for sure one way or another if they do or dont make them anymore, but I cant yet.
I hate the idea of studs because it makes changing head gaskets in the truck impossible in the future if I had to.
But Im leaning more towards just doing the head studs and having it over with.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it's not impossible to change the HGs in the truck after installing studs. just back the back ones out of the block and pull them with the head. same as you would do with bolts.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the ARPs are going to apply over twice the clamping force as the OEM bolts, I think it would be unlikely that you will have to ever replace the had gaskets again anyway.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright, I was going to start a thread asking about this as well. I'm going to order up a bunch of stuff now that I have some money rolling in :D....head studs/gaskets are on the list.

So, to go along with the studs, what does everyone recomend for gaskets? Also, I guess I should ask is it a real PITA to do this with the motor in the truck?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Alright, I was going to start a thread asking about this as well. I'm going to order up a bunch of stuff now that I have some money rolling in :D....head studs/gaskets are on the list.

So, to go along with the studs, what does everyone recomend for gaskets? Also, I guess I should ask is it a real PITA to do this with the motor in the truck?

ive asked the same question and everybody says to pull the engine to the studs that is the easy way

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, pull the engine.

ARP recommends going through the torque sequence 5 times to reduce the potential for friction in the fasteners to the lowest reasonable amount. Doing this with the engine in the truck will not be fun and it will be harder to do it right.

FelPro seems to be the norm when it comes to head gaskets. I'm satisfied with the brand.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ahhh.....I see. That would be a problem, cause there is no way I'm pulling the engine unless I had some major issues with it. I guess I will take the hard way then :D . You gotta look at it from the point of view from my parents, cause they for some reason dictate what I spend my money on like fricking money ****'s or something. It'll be hard enough to explain to them why I'm pulling the heads let alone the engine LOL. Might just pull off the bumper/grille and radiator so I can have some room in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim

Members online