Best mpg

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the best way to mpg's? I have a 94 turbo truck. I am thinking exhaust and intake will get me some. Is 18mpg unheard of? I used to get about 16 in my 93 N/A truck. This one gets 14-15. As much as I am on the road I would like to get as much as possible.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the IP timed. Test your injectors for correct operation and consistency (pop testing and spray pattern). Make sure your airfilter is clean. Air up your tires and check them frequently. Make sure your turbo is in good shape. Drive like grandma when starting from a stop. If it doesn't get too hot where you live you might be able to remove the cooling fan and use some electric ones. But that's from what I understand a little risky if you are hauling something heavy.(no proof just heresay someone else might have proof)

If you have alot of black smoke under heavy throttle consider turning the IP down.

I am sure there are more things to do but that's my list off the top of my head.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What rear end have you got in that thing? If it's a 4.10, don't plan on ever seeing 18mpg unless you happen to be heading all downhill with a tailwind.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, driving very carefully, I've broken the 20 barrier with my truck a couple of times.

But, 16 to 17 is more realistic for everyday driving...still a lot better than what I was getting with my T-19! ;Sweet

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
With my 30 ft gooseneck empty I'd get around 10-11 MPG. Load it with 5000lbs. or more 8.9-9.5 was about average. I often felt I should do better but never could. I calculated by total fuel used over a long trip 10,000 miles or so. excellerate slowly and stop long and easy,and don't try to set a land speed record.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
my 88 7.3 with a banks sidewinder....4x4 ext cab w/ ZF 5 spd gets 16mpg no matter how i drive it....

got any pics of your late model seats? what year truck were they out of? sorry for the thread hijack

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck varies widly. Now I havent gotten a fuel milage number with my turbo and my pump turned up, but I figure its in the 14-15mpg range, because I get on it all the time. Before the turbo, my worst milage was 15.5mpg, and my best was 19.7mpg. This is driving to and from school, 15 miles each way, and going up in elevation about 1000' going home. I drive 60mph by the way, any faster than that and fuel milage suffers a ton.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I get the truck I can check the door tag.

The seats are out of a 01-03 F150 I think. They are the same seats that came stock in my 01 F150. I didn't put them in though. I may take them out cause I kinda want the truck to stay stock looking. This one is too classy to go tearing it up.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
I'm sitting in a campground in San Diego ( Chulla Vista) with an 11.5' camper on the back of my '86. Just done over 3000miles pushing wind and get a solid 10mpg ;with no wind and hills 12mpg. Now, at home, with no camper and a light foot I got 18mpg USgal his summer. Heading for the Baha.

6.9 with Hypermax turbo ,3" exhaust, 3.55 and C6. On the hills I still see the Cummins blow by pulling very very big 5ers, getting better mpg's.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting in a campground in San Diego ( Chulla Vista) with an 11.5' camper on the back of my '86. Just done over 3000miles pushing wind and get a solid 10mpg ;with no wind and hills 12mpg. Now, at home, with no camper and a light foot I got 18mpg USgal his summer. Heading for the Baha.

6.9 with Hypermax turbo ,3" exhaust, 3.55 and C6. On the hills I still see the Cummins blow by pulling very very big 5ers, getting better mpg's.

Have fun in Baja. San Miguel Beach just north of Ensenada used to be a very quiet place except for the occassional loud surf party. But that can be fun too. It's been 16 years so it's probably alot different now. (commercialized)

I was thinking how lucky you were and then I made the connection to your screen name.

I average just over 17 with my 7.3 NA. Best was just a hair over 18.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
there's a big difference with the different wheel base trucks too. As well as having a turbo 6.9 and a turbo 7.3, or N/A either one. For example, a CC with a turbo 6.9 and 4.10's and over drive will get more than a CC with a turbo 7.3, 4.10's and an over drive.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with a 8000 pound trailer i get around 10 with out i get around 17 with the 94 turbo 7.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online