Best Modifications or Upgrades You've Done

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says what do you feel are the 3 or 4 best upgrades or modifications you've done to your truck? Anything from looks, driveability, power, or comfort. If you want to add a cost feel free to do so. With all the things I've seen done to these trucks it would be interesting to hear what you fellas feel was the best bang for your buck. I'm guessing "turbo" will be at the top of the list.

I'll start with mine which isn't very extensive nor all complete.
1. ZF swap for driveability
2. Factory Alcoas for looks
3. Captain seats for comfort
4. Experimenting with exhaust (more questions to come on that later)

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was rereading my post and realize I need to update my signature vehicle description. If I can figure it out :rolleyes:

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
swapped the inline 6 for a 7.3 with a zf5 speed
heated seat pads for the bench seat out of a volvo 240
100amp volvo one wire alternator swap
tinted rear glass (deff nice in the summer... and at night)

got alot more done to the truck, but its still a work in progress... and i think it always will be

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
On my 94
1. 2 core aluminum radiator with dual electric fans and coolant filter system
2. Carbide ceramic clutch disc with 2000lb pressure plate
3. Homemade 3" intercooler system with sprayer

On my 85'
4. 4.56 gear swaps
5. Yukon axles

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
In no specific order...

- Upgraded stereo (Alpine headunit, Infinity speakers, Infinity sub, Rockford Fosgate amp for sub and US Acoustics amp for the speakers)
- Cloth bench seat from a 1994 F-150
- 3G alternator, with upgraded electrical (which included group 31 batteries)
- Loose nut behind the wheel :)

Last edited:

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
In no specific order...

- Upgraded stereo (Alpine headunit, Infinity speakers, Infinity sub, Rockford Fosgate amp for sub and US Acoustics amp for the speakers)
- Cloth bench seat from a 1994 F-150
- 3G alternator, with upgraded electrical (which included group 31 batteries)
- Loose nut behind the wheel :)

You should ask for a refund!

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
on my old first 89 I blacked out the interior, it was definitely different. A good friend of mine has the truck and the interior still looks A-1 ;Sweet pics are on my profile. I also leveled out my old single wheel F-250 and put 285's on it, nothin like a good suspension/wheel and tire combo :sly

artfd

Reaction score
Haven't modified mine that much, here's a few things I did that I really appreciated:
(1) front mounted spare tire rack. This may have saved my life when I hit a deer on I-75 while I was going 70 mph. The tire & bracket took most of the impact. Bumper & right front fender had to be replaced.

(2) Originally had no A/C on this vehicle. Took a summer trip to the Northwest Coast in 1984. Temps in Portland OR hit 102 the day I showed up. Weather continued hot (though not that hot) all the way back home. I would stop once a day in mid-afternoon, stand on the back step of my slide on camper & run the shower head over me, just to cool off. Paid $750 once I got back home to have aftermarket A/C installed, which is very much like the OEM installation. Later put a home 5000 BTU A/C in the back window of the camper, which came in very handy on some really hot days camping out.

(3) spray painted the dash panel inside the cab satin black and the outside metal cowl flat black. This killed most of the glare coming off the windshield, made summer driving more pleasant. I've been thinking of painting the top of my hood flat black also, for the same reason.

(4) XM radio in the cab made driving the superlong stretches out west a pleasure with so many different things to listen to.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my old '94...

1. 3" downpipe
2. Bumped boost
3. Dumped exhaust not too far after the cab, with the particular Walker muffler I used (took all the V8 rasp out of it and gave it a growl that seemed like a cross between a Cummins and a Powerstroke)
4. Electric fuel pump (made life so much easier)
5. (I'm cheating a little)-A fresh IP....I could practically start the truck without the glow plugs after I replaced it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck already came equipped with aftermarket ATS wg and ZF5.
adding an ATS IC kit was considered nuts in 2005 but prolly the best add-on I have done. I could max out the fuel and never had to keep an eye on the pryo whatsoever.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Hmm. Lets see here :smoke:

-Matched BB code injectors
-255/85 KM2 BFGoodrich tires
-Push button GP's