Best modifications for heavy pulling ?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
Hypermax makes a turbo kit for the IH Sseries chassis;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
that's what you have.
there's even a parking spot for an intercooler next to the radiator.
imho, if you're hauling a load, you need to IC. the difference is night and day.
head studs aren't a bad idea either.
IF YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON DRIVING THE TRUCK.....an injection pump out of a ford pickup will give you more RPM's BUT KEEP IN MIND the trans and clutch may be very allergic to such rpm's.
good luck;Sweet

heavyhauling

Reaction score
the stock motor in the 5 ton was a 549 cubic inch gas pot so I doubt I'll have any problems using te 7.3L. I won't need a tansmission guage seeing that the transmission is designed for pulling a bigger trailer. I wil try out a turbo and intercooler and a big radiator.

heavyhauling

Reaction score
I was reading on dieselpowermag forums and some people were saying that I wont need new head studs for a 7.3L when adding a turbo. they were also saying that really the only ford engines that need them are the 6.0L, and the old 6.9L. Not only are the bolts stronger on a 7.3, but there is 6 not just 4 per cylinder.

Is this ture or do I actually need headstuds ?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would use studs in any diesel engine... the pressures are high in all of them, some higher than others. The compression ratio in an IDI is 21.5:1 this is one reason for the lower boost levels, In the PSD's it is 17:1 but they run higher boost (I know the 6.0 runs up to ~30PSI boost stock). The 6.9 and 7.3 are the same block casting, and have the same amount of bolts. The difference is the 6.9 uses a smaller bolt (7/16 head on a 6.9 and 1/2 head on the 7.3) so some of the info is incorrect. I would say for "safety sake" I would run studs.... one of these days when I do head gaskets on my 6.0 it will get studs and I am running 100% stock..... If you are just adding a turbo, and not doing head gaskets, I would run with the bolts that are on there, just keep the boost at 12PSI or below. If it is fine now, no need to tear it apart and put studs in, but if it is apart, I would recommend studs instead of bolts.

heavyhauling

Reaction score
I have the 7.3l with no turbo in a 91' international 5/6 dump truck. it has the 5 speed with 2 speed rear. it has no problems pulling at all, it 's all in the gears. If you have enough gearing Horse Power is not that big of an issue. That being said, with the rpm's you will be running I would go for a non waste gate turbo, intercooler is not really needed, but would be a small plus. Intercooler is bucks for not that much gain, the turbo is the big gain. That being said I don't feel I need a turbo on mine, and it is basically the same as what you are proposing to build. We don't run the truck over 26k GVW, so we are running a little less the you will be running.

what model of transmission does your truck have ?

tractorman86

Reaction score
The big question here is how much money are you looking to spend? There are MANY different routes you could go with this it all boils down to budget...

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old C70 had a 10 yard bed on it with a 4-53 Detroit and would walk away with the load then run down the freeway also. For those not in the know a 4-53 is a four cylinder supercharged diesel. I've driven a 5-ton with a 7.3 in it. It ran just fine towing a lowboy with a D6 on it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i drove an 80s IH 2 car carrier with a 6.9 in it.hated that truck.drove it once and never drove it again.took all day to get it up to 45mph.ive driven ones with the 7.3 idi and psd in them.same thing,take all day to get up to speed.and even worse with a car on them.just stuff a dt466 in it and be done.

heavyhauling

Reaction score
My budget is pretty big for this conversion. I already have the 7.3L and I got the truck dirt cheap, so theres no point of buyng a dt466. All I really need is to find a transmision for this truck that bolts up to my 7.3L, or get a bellhousing adaptor. What other routes is there ?

tractorman86

Reaction score
Well ATS is on their 4th design, IIRC banks made 3 and I think hypermax is on their 2nd. Sanderson makes a longtube header for n/a. There was even a Guy that supercharged one. Your only real limit is the extent of your imagination and or bank account

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what model of transmission does your truck have ?
iirc when I was underneath the truck not so long ago, it looked like a Clark 5speed. What's wrong with the trans you have right now?
edit-
n/m on the trans question. If you need a trans, I do have access to the Clark 5spd trans and a experienced gear guy to rebuild it.
there's a Canuck who comes down here pretty regular, I can put you in touch with him to arrange him to transport all the goodies north too. He's really good at avoiding your border tariffs and he's only one province away from you.

heavyhauling

Reaction score
iirc when I was underneath the truck not so long ago, it looked like a Clark 5speed. What's wrong with the trans you have right now?
edit-
n/m on the trans question. If you need a trans, I do have access to the Clark 5spd trans and a experienced gear guy to rebuild it.
there's a Canuck who comes down here pretty regular, I can put you in touch with him to arrange him to transport all the goodies north too. He's really good at avoiding your border tariffs and he's only one province away from you.

Im not quite sure if my transmission is a clark, the model of mine is CM2525A. That would be great if you could hook me up with that guy, maybe he could help me out.