Best modifications for heavy pulling ?

heavyhauling

Reaction score
Im installing a 1991 7.3L in a 1980's single axle International 5 ton truck with a fifth wheel. I will be bolting the motor up to the factory international 5 speed transmission with a 2 speed rear axle. I will be pulling a tridem dually gooseneck fat deck equipment trailer wth a 21000 lb forklift. What is the best and most reliable modifications I can do to his motor for pulling ?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a turbo would be the best thing for it. But the big question for would be whether or not to get a gated or non-gated. A gated turbo would have higher egt's but better acceleration.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say you will probably want a turbo and possibly an intercooler, thats really one of the best upgrades considering the rest of the truck is set up for hauling the weight already. What gear ratio does the truck have.

If you need a turbo setup shoot me a pm, I have a spare one sitting in the garage.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think no matter what you're doing to it you'll be pushing that poor motor to the max. In my opinion these motors are a bit underpowered for towing even a few thousand pounds (I've done 14,000 gross vehicle weight and it was not very great on hills). Putting it in a truck that large, with a big trailer, and a 21000 lb forklift is going to be a strain. Geared right you'll get there I guess but it'll be sloooooooow going. Whats the whole rig weigh? 21k for the forklift, 8k for the truck, 6k for the trailer? 35k will be a bit of a stretch.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think no matter what you're doing to it you'll be pushing that poor motor to the max. In my opinion these motors are a bit underpowered for towing even a few thousand pounds (I've done 14,000 gross vehicle weight and it was not very great on hills). Putting it in a truck that large, with a big trailer, and a 21000 lb forklift is going to be a strain. Geared right you'll get there I guess but it'll be sloooooooow going. Whats the whole rig weigh? 21k for the forklift, 8k for the truck, 6k for the trailer? 35k will be a bit of a stretch.

Ok riddle me this what type of vehicle was the 6.9 designed to go in? Oh thats right comercial trucks that pull loads like that all the time.

What engine did the truck come with from the factory?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A non gated turbo would be the best, no doubt. Intercooler a strong suggestion. No doubt that you will have a large radiator to use, so you should be good with water temps.

Lots, and lots of gauges.

Boost, pyro, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, volt, anything else you can think of.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My na 6.9 is pretty worn and it still pulls 10-15k trailers fairly well. I gross well over 20k often and besides gettingmoving I can maintain speed easily and can cruise the highway at 65. Even getting moving isn't all that bad, just have to watch the smoke levels. I really don't see to much of a problem having a 2sp rear and a turbo to help things breath better.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, It really doesnt matter how much power the engine has although it helps. Look at all the dump trucks and commercial trucks back in the 50's and 60's, a lot had little inline 6's, but they all had the gears. He has a two speed axle and a total of ten gears. If his differential is a good gear he will most likely be in good shape with a turboed idi. IMO.

DragRag

Reaction score
I have the 7.3l with no turbo in a 91' international 5/6 dump truck. it has the 5 speed with 2 speed rear. it has no problems pulling at all, it 's all in the gears. If you have enough gearing Horse Power is not that big of an issue. That being said, with the rpm's you will be running I would go for a non waste gate turbo, intercooler is not really needed, but would be a small plus. Intercooler is bucks for not that much gain, the turbo is the big gain. That being said I don't feel I need a turbo on mine, and it is basically the same as what you are proposing to build. We don't run the truck over 26k GVW, so we are running a little less the you will be running.

1994IDI

Reaction score
I'd have to second a lot of the suggestions here on whatever turbo suits your needs, and plenty of gauges. Then I'd certainly have to say get a fresh fuel system and... MOOSE IT!

Sorry couldn't help it. If you get serious about power though, Mel (Agnem) is able to fix you up with what is arguably the best IP available to us, while Russ will be able to provide you with a re-ground cam that has had some pretty good reviews for bumping up torque. Either of these members can set you up with a set of quality pop-matched injectors, and unquestionable, unmatched service.

Hypermax makes an intercooler fit for our engines, but it is rather spendy. I, like several others, put together my own kit with less than $400 in parts, and Russ can also provide you with an aluminum intake hat for that project if you so choose.

Good luck and welcome to OB.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online