best moded or turbo injection pump for my buck?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already had my stock pump maxed out and it was still gutless as hell only pulled about 9 pounds boost and could never get the egt over 1100. I wanna get some bigger injectors studs and either water **** or a intercooler. Truck is on 37s and always has a load on it. Pulls a big trailer and spends its life pulling grades

you need a cam change if your going to leave the running gear as is. the torque cam makes a big difference .

Black dawg

Reaction score
I already had my stock pump maxed out and it was still gutless as hell only pulled about 9 pounds boost and could never get the egt over 1100. I wanna get some bigger injectors studs and either water **** or a intercooler. Truck is on 37s and always has a load on it. Pulls a big trailer and spends its life pulling grades

a maxed stock pump should get better than 10psi, closer to 15. Before I did the intercooler I could easily hit 15 or better. This is with a maxed out factory turbo pump.

On the tires, at one time I went to 285s from 235s, and the power loss towing was too much for me. If you were only getting that boost/egt, your set up wasnt working correctly, but putting stock size tires on the thing would have made it much more useable. Right now my truck is 4.11 on stock tires, and I am considering 4.56 gear or better. Throw some gear at that thing.

87wmoburnner

Reaction score
37 are mil surplus and they are free so I run them on everything. I no the 4.10s aren't ideal but the stock pizza cutters left me constantly stuck and hi centered. Truck is used to haul logs out of the middle of know where offroad. And as far as "chrome don't get you home". Truck is completly blacked out even the headlights are tinted. I am aware that 1100 egt is a good thing but it just seems like others are getting higher fuel and boost numbers out of a stock maxed pump. Thanks for the info guys trust me I really want a moose pump and injectors I just need the truck back on the road. So if might just get a factory turbo pump and bb codes if you guys think I will see gains over my stock maxed 6.9 stuff

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets be honest about your goals. You want more power, but to do that you need to spend $$$. You don't have extra $$$ right now to spend and don't want the truck down. It's not relistic to mod the truck without spending $$$ or having it down for a period of time..... especially when installing studs.

37 inch tires are not a great choice for hauling a load. You'd be much better off with stock size or close to stock size tires for that purpose. Plus, better gearing in the axles would help as well.

Not seeing over 1100 degrees on the pyro is a good thing. You don't want to have them that high consistantly as you will drastically shorten the life of our IDI.

My two cents......... Save the cash you need for the parts you need. Moose pump it. Time it properly. New BB code or Moose injectors. Studs if 6.9. "Normal" sized tires. 4.10 gears. Intercooler. Enjoy the rig and it's new power.

Heath
You must be registered for see images

Black dawg

Reaction score
37 are mil surplus and they are free so I run them on everything. I no the 4.10s aren't ideal but the stock pizza cutters left me constantly stuck and hi centered. Truck is used to haul logs out of the middle of know where offroad. And as far as "chrome don't get you home". Truck is completly blacked out even the headlights are tinted. I am aware that 1100 egt is a good thing but it just seems like others are getting higher fuel and boost numbers out of a stock maxed pump. Thanks for the info guys trust me I really want a moose pump and injectors I just need the truck back on the road. So if might just get a factory turbo pump and bb codes if you guys think I will see gains over my stock maxed 6.9 stuff

you should see gains, but it has to do with fresh good working parts. I wouldnt worry too much about finding the turbo pump, the ones I have had apart have the same plunger diameter as a regular 7.3 pump.

If you need the big tires, pick the lowest gear you can live with on the highway, and re gear.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
37 are mil surplus and they are free so I run them on everything..... I no the 4.10s aren't ideal but the stock pizza cutters left me constantly stuck and hi centered. Truck is used to haul logs out of the middle of know where offroad.

A cheap set of lunch box lockers would most likely alleviate that issue! and Cheaper than regearing and easier too!

And as far as "chrome don't get you home". Truck is completly blacked out even the headlights are tinted. I am aware that 1100 egt is a good thing .....

I'm not really referring to chrome here it's more.....that I'm saying form follows function .....IN other words free 37's are that...free...the issue you have ....is you have NOT taken the savings from running those FREE bling tyres and invested in better gearing...there is NO FREE lunch...free tyres that cause you to over work your transmission and drivetrain will not be free when the bill comes in for repairs.....

Free here means take that $$$ and put it there....Kinda like a smoker who quits....take and save that money for a year...and do a nice vacation...don't put it into donuts and coffees...and not see the advantages of not smoking..

Yes a decent pump will net you a good result...

What I am not understanding is you keep saying you can't have the truck down...it is down...so get a MOOSE pump install it and send in your core! Add in some good BB injectors and be happy...If the truck is already down, order the pump and be done with it....Call Mel ask him how long to get it to you and a set of injectors...his price on the pump isn't over the top...and you get a core charge back at the end of the day.

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Last I heard about Mel and the new business is he was getting some pumps on the shelf so there is no wait time. You buy from him and pay a core charge... Thats a good thing right there. You get the pump. Install it and time it. then send in the core and get your core fee back... Thats simple business edicate right there. Timing the new pump is just as important as the new pump. Making sure the core is sent in is more than trust when you pay a core fee... Its like the old saying.... "In God we trust... All others pay cash"... My timing meter program was ruined by someone damageing the meters and not owning up to it. I trusted way too many members. It has caused me a horrible amount of time and money to try to make it a program once again. I have gotten plenty of financial support from so many members here it has humbled me very much. Blind trust is what I do and it has cost me dearly. I want to help others time their trucks so I need to find another way of operating my busines of helping others in need. We have plenty of deserving members here that will help others keep their rigs on the road. I feel Mel and Russ do much more than I will ever be able to offer here. I look up to their knowledge. Calvin is another member that knows more about these rigs than I ever will. NMB2 knows plenty too and I wish he was still a member here but thats how things go sometimes. I know he was bashing me on other forums and I even saw a utube viedo where he mentioned me by name... Such flattery...:angel:;p I have never read any posts about anyone having an issue with what they bought from Mel. Its a pump that nobody can compare to anywhere on the web. My last Moose pump was installed by Mel at the 2009 ralley in Bowlingreen Ky. I drove home about 2200 miles doing 75 to 85 mph getting 18.9 mpg.. Can anyone top that... I don't think so... Scooter. My engine has many things clearly done to it in my posting found at the bottom of all my posts. Its true that the gear vendors allows me to be at 1850 rpm doing 85 mph because the final gear ratio is 1.96 in double over drive. I run a set of 3.55 gears but feel I could handle a set of 4.11 easily and some day might change to those. Might just change my prop driver plane to a rocket powered ship too... I do wonder what the launch would feel like...:angel::sly

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been in the market for new IP as well, a reman ip through local auto parts stores were $550 -600.. i just placed an order last week for a baby moose and it was $639... not enough cost difference to sacrifice quality if you ask me.. very much looking forward to getting my parts from Mel here soon...baby moose, new BB injectors, and return line kit, all just under $1k.. not bad for the life it will restore to my engine from what i have read..