Best mechanical lift pump?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I love the idea of a good reliable mechanical pump. But why they never put a primer lever on one is a mystery to me -cuss

I'm a little gun shy when it comes to electric pumps after installing a Holley Red on my last IDI. It must have advanced the IP internally or something because it quit starting good and ran like poo immediately after I installed it.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was an idea a guy had on another site for guys who wanted a higher psi lift pump with OEM quality. He suggested using a SD lift pump which pushes like 60 psi but regulating it down to about 10 psi and using bigger fuel return lines. I kind of like that idea. With a higher performance engine, you would be able to maintain a higher pressure and wouldn't have to worry about it failing as easily as a Holly pump would in a diesel application. Although I haven't quite heard how a Holley Blue does, I have heard many people say that the Holley Red has failed. This might be a good alternative to the blue but idk...

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
What is a SD? Is it just another name for PSD? Will it actually bolt on and all? I like that idea all around. I will do it and do a write up about it.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SD means superduty.

They use a electric lift pump.

I like my mechanical with the WMO.

Yes it is a Superduty pump I was talking about. I was just thinking about a pump that was more reliable than the Holley pumps. It would be a good pump for regular diesel though.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a SD? Is it just another name for PSD? Will it actually bolt on and all? I like that idea all around. I will do it and do a write up about it.

Its not a direct bolt on. My thinking is that you would definitely need bigger return lines but I'm not sure what else it would need other that a power source and new fuel lines in and out. What do you think it would need? :dunno

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Well there was talk of using a HFCM from a 6.0 as they get weak and you get a low power condition and repeat fuel injector failures in those motors. INfact i have about 10 of those things sitting under a work bench at my shop. They still pump, but not high enough pressure for the 6.0 to run properly and not chew injectors.

So you can use them, you'll use a bypass regulator to bring the fuel pressure down as they are very high pressure. Over 60psi normally.
The problem with that, as i found out with trying to use my gasser fuel lines when i did my gas to diesel swap was the return lines were far too small to handle the fuel volume.

I'd personally tell you to use a Facet pump (available from GenLightning) for a durable electric pump.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there was talk of using a HFCM from a 6.0 as they get weak and you get a low power condition and repeat fuel injector failures in those motors. INfact i have about 10 of those things sitting under a work bench at my shop. They still pump, but not high enough pressure for the 6.0 to run properly and not chew injectors.

So you can use them, you'll use a bypass regulator to bring the fuel pressure down as they are very high pressure. Over 60psi normally.
The problem with that, as i found out with trying to use my gasser fuel lines when i did my gas to diesel swap was the return lines were far too small to handle the fuel volume.

I'd personally tell you to use a Facet pump (available from GenLightning) for a durable electric pump.

The HFCM from a 6.4 truck is 3-8psi from the factory and would flow plenty of volume for an IDI :sly, just havent got up the stones to cough up the cash for one:eek:.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The HFCM from a 6.4 truck is 3-8psi from the factory and would flow plenty of volume for an IDI :sly, just havent got up the stones to cough up the cash for one:eek:.

I have yet to change one or even service a 6.4 for a driveability issue related to anything other than a bad batch of fuel.

They are actually spec'ed at 4-7 psi, but between the high costs of the pump, and the fact that the fuel filter comes as a set... I'd be very reluctant to use that pump. Also the 6.4 HFCM had some issues with buildup in the bottom of the units triggering the WIF lamp.

the sheer mess that thing makes ****** me off to no end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online