Best mechanical lift pump?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
As the title states. What is the best mechanical lift pump available? And where is the best place to get it? I need to get it by the weekend. Thanks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to get one from ford, it had an IH number on it. And the napa/carter one it replaced wasnt a year old.

Spend the money from the dealers.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Stupid question, do they gradually fail, or is it a one shot thing? I was having issues with delivery, and was wondering if it could be the pump (Airtex) but the pressure was 4 psi and volume was good.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, do they gradually fail, or is it a one shot thing? I was having issues with delivery, and was wondering if it could be the pump (Airtex) but the pressure was 4 psi and volume was good.

They'll usually start dripping fuel out the weep hole...that's your sign the diaphragm is shot.
Gasser or diesel > I've never had a mechanical pump just quit.
I'm on LP #2 > since 1988 and just under 200,000 miles. So how unreliable can they be? ;Really

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
They'll usually start dripping fuel out the weep hole...that's your sign the diaphragm is shot.
Gasser or diesel > I've never had a mechanical pump just quit.
I'm on LP #2 > since 1988 and just under 200,000 miles. So how unreliable can they be? ;Really

How about 3 mechanical pumps in 1 month? I stuck a Carter pump in and its been fine.

One of the airtex's failed while the truck was running and i got fuel in the crankcase. Another leaked out the side all over the truck. the 3rd just stopped pumping as the rivit holding the arm to the pump broke (got lucky it came out the oil pan drain).

So no Airtex or Master. same company.

There is a thread created by me some time ago about me cursing the airtex pump after i had to walk back to my shop when it left me on the side of the road. It was the one and only time it has ever done that.

edit: after the airtex pump left me on the side of the road, i took the stock mechanical pump off my 6.9 which was from 86 and shoved it in. It was working just fine till i replaced it with the carter to be safe as it was 20 something years old.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about 3 mechanical pumps in 1 month? I stuck a Carter pump in and its been fine.

One of the airtex's failed while the truck was running and i got fuel in the crankcase. Another leaked out the side all over the truck. the 3rd just stopped pumping as the rivit holding the arm to the pump broke (got lucky it came out the oil pan drain).

So no Airtex or Master. same company.

There is a thread created by me some time ago about me cursing the airtex pump after i had to walk back to my shop when it left me on the side of the road. It was the one and only time it has ever done that.

edit: after the airtex pump left me on the side of the road, i took the stock mechanical pump off my 6.9 which was from 86 and shoved it in. It was working just fine till i replaced it with the carter to be safe as it was 20 something years old.
Honestly I don't know what to tell you...but chose a different manufacture or > go with an OE stealer pump :dunno

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know what to tell you...but chose a different manufacture or > go with an OE stealer pump :dunno

The 3 pumps were from Advance Auto. It was a Airtex brand fuel pump. Infact after that whole fiasco which included walking back to my shop to retrieve a old used STOCK fuel pump and installing it on the side of the road, i replaced it with a Carter for good measure. I thought about buying it from Ford but i was reasonably sure that carter built the pump for IH. Its been on there since, pumping high % of wmo. No issues. I just can't recommend that anyone get the Airtex pump.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have decided on either Carter or Delphi. I am sure the stealership pumps are good. But its not called a STEALERship for nothing.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter builds a good pump IMHO.

Any thoughts on going to electric? The Facet's seem to be pretty popular.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online