Best Grease Gun?

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best grease gun for lubing a pickup or van?

I was thinking about a pneumatic one.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive got two one pneumatic and a pistol grip, both made by lincoln. I use the pneumatic for the king pins as they don't like to take grease easily. Everything else I use the pistol grip one for.

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lincoln air operated one I love it, but sometimes it is just easier to use my pistol grip one, if i dont feel like grabbing the air hose. if price isnt an option my friend has a 14.4v cordless Lincoln pistol grip grease gun. its the nicest gun ive used. just as powerful as my air powered one yet easier to use. I think its pretty pricey though like 150.00 - 200.00. it comes with a nice case and two batteries. he works at a trucking company and uses it everyday to grease the trucks and fith wheels

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a MAC one. It's the best one I've used and it wasn't badly priced IIRC.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Lincoln 14.4 cordless, best money i ever spent. but I use it all the time since I work on heavy trucks and equipment alot. It even has enough power to tension tracks on excavators. I would really want to see what the newer 18v ones can do now

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
unless the grease has free rein to come out of where you are pumping it into, anything can be over greased. anything that has a seal to prevent grease from exiting can and will ruin the seal or the part when overgreased

like the article said some grease guns can build up to 15,000 lbs of pressure with the average being around 5,000 lbs of pressure. the lincoln I have sitting in my back yard with peg a 3000 psi gauge within a few pumps

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the bearing/bushing comes stock with a zerk fitting, then it does not seem it can be over greased. When new grease goes in, old grease comes out. It seems you can add as much new grease as you want. The extra grease comes out. So no over greasing (too much grease in the bushing/bearing) is possible.

Grease is usually added to zerk fittings during every oil change. This goes on for decades, but no over greasing occurs.

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Anything with a seal can be over greased. Tie rod ends for example with their rubber boots. If you over grease one you risk blowing the boot. Once the boot is broke it will no longer hold grease in the tie rod end and allow water and dirt ingress.

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the boot would blow from using too much pressure. Or the boot aged over time and split.

Too high of a pressure setting on the grease gun is the problem. The quantity of grease is not the problem.

The article talks about packing a wheel bearing with too much grease. Too much grease in a wheel bearing causes a problem.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Anything with a seal can be over greased. Tie rod ends for example with their rubber boots. If you over grease one you risk blowing the boot. Once the boot is broke it will no longer hold grease in the tie rod end and allow water and dirt ingress.

Boots on tie rod ends are not sealed items, they are slip on caps. THeyare designed to allow grease to exit along the skirt under estra pressure to purge out a little of the real old stuff at the edges and make darn sure the thing is full. I'ts perfectly OK to have grease come squirting out around the edges of the tie rod end boots. If those boots werent open on one end , they would tear, they have to float Same with ujoint seals where you are *supposed* to fill until you see grease coming out at all four ( just having them tight can be the worlds biggest fake out, if you have an air pocket in one or more legs of the joint all you are doing at each greasing is pumping up a balloon and its not long before that shaft is on the side of the road). The key point here is to not pump them up too fast to where they split , which can happen if you get overzelous with an air powered gun and I imagine the electric jobs can probably do the same

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought about calibrating a grease gun as the article suggests. I think it depends on what you are greasing. Some tie rod ends are the closed type and will blow out the boot if over greased. If it is the open type then grease until you see clean grease. I just hate the tie rods on newer vehicles that don't have zerks, which is most of them!