Bent shifter solid or hollow?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been gone a while, but I'm back lurking around since I bought my dad's crew from him ;Sweet Does anyone know off hand if the bent shifter on the t-19s is solid or hollow? I want to straighten it out, that bend makes it awkward for me to reach/shift. If it's hollow I'll most likely have to use a different stick since it'll most likely kink if I start bending on it. Anyone know?
Travis..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a solid bar.
i have a straight one here if you want to try it out.
i come on by and test-fit and drive.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it seemed solid. I'll just pull it off and straighten it out. I'm certain I'll like it better than it is now
Travis..

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was straight and solid. I hated it as I had to really stretch to hit 3rd gear. I heated it up with a torch and fixed it.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be straight, but point closer to me. I have no idea why they put such a wild bend in these things, it makes it really awkward.
Travis..

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solid round stock, heat and bend and even weld to your heart's content. I have a strong hate for most factory shifters (especially the 5-speed ones), way too short and going in 4th (or God forbid reverse) feels awkward as hell. My 4-speed shifters are like my 10-speed shifter, nice and tall to the point of almost touching the steering wheel - this way 4 and rev don't feel like I'm jamming the shifter into the seat, and I can operate my Pacbrake while lazily resting my elbow on the flip-down center armrest :D

Chris, that T19 is mild, an NP435 has you pushing the shifter into the dash in 1st gear LOL Reverse also gets interesting with a fat XLT seat, IIRC mine ended up at like 1" before hitting the bottom of the dash in 1st and 1/2" before hitting the front of the seat in reverse, talk about a long throw.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Chris, that T19 is mild, an NP435 has you pushing the shifter into the dash in 1st gear LOL Reverse also gets interesting with a fat XLT seat, IIRC mine ended up at like 1" before hitting the bottom of the dash in 1st and 1/2" before hitting the front of the seat in reverse, talk about a long throw.

Sounds like the sm465 that was in my 79 c30.
Actually hit the dash a few times. Forget anyone sitting in the middle. Wracked a few buddies and checked a few girls back in the day. Lol
But it has to be bent that way to clear the dash and seat.
With a zf you can get a short throw kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
They are a bit akward, but I like the T19 shifter many factors of 10 times greater than the straight ZF shifter.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a kid I hated the T19 shifter. Reverse was hell on the knee cap if you were riding in the middle.-cuss

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and checked a few girls back in the day. QUOTE]

Oh, I remember those days back in my 1978 F250 with the NP435. The last girl I "checked" in that truck I ended up marrying. That was over 22 years ago - still have the girl but the truck is in heaven - where all good trucks go. Took the truck on the honeymoon. Loved that long-throw, notchy shifter and the girls loved it too.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me weird, but I kinda miss the T-19 gearshift lever...gave the truck more character :D

Of course, I wouldn't trade the ZF for a T-19 for anything. It's nice having a functional spring-loading so you can tell which rail you're in, and especially with 4.10's, that 5th gear is heaven-sent ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online