Bellhousing question

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
So I recently bought an M-61A2 tractor 6x6 for $1,500 it runs but runs like crap. Contaminated fuel. worn out LDT-465 multifuel and not a great supply of parts around here. Ive got an extra 7.3 laying around and have an ATS turbo kit for it as well. The LDT-465 is 478ci rated at 170hp @ 2800 and 330ft/lbs @ 1400. So basically its about the same as the IDI just weighs around 700lbs more and not as near as reliable in my opinion. The fuel density compensator on the multi fuel is a pain.

Ok, so my question is does anyone know what transmission bellhousing I will use to mount the spicer 3053B to the IDI?

Or would I be better off dropping in a ZF5 behind the idi and just doing a 1410 you joint yoke on a 2wd zf5 since my transfer case is divorced?

I am thinking the zf5 ratio would help since my Spicer 3053 has a .85 direct drive 5th with 6.44 gears? I am going to be running 16.00x20(52")super singles as well. I don't think a NP205 behind the zf5 will hold nearly as good. I hope the ZF5 can handle it.

Any suggestions?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck junk yard. Find an International truck with the 7.3 [forget for a moment the number International calls it]... you want the SAE 2 bell housing [I think it is]

That should let you bolt up a number of truck transmissions with the SAE 2 pattern, to open up your options.

ZF 5 would likely handle the weight and HP if the ratios work out. [I think]

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOps... an attack of oldtimers disease... what you want is the adaptor plate that bolts up to back of engine that takes the SAE 2 pattern bell housings. Then the clutch/flywheel combo that goes with what ever transmission you pick to use.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey check CL seattle there was a guy that had the sae 2 bell adapter for sale. i am looking for a sae 3 adaptor. found one in caly for 250.00 plus shipping. make sure it comes with the correct crank spacer and bolts wrecking yards always seem to loose the bolts.