bellhousing and trans accessories bolt,nut sizes!?!?!?

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
does anybody know what size the bolts are that hold bellhousing,clutch pedals,and hydro clutch master cylinder in the idis im going next week to pull a a zf5 out of a brick-nose idi 2wd to convert my 92 to a stick. the reason i ask is my tool box is WAY to big to throw in the back of my dads dodge and i just wanted to bring a hand full of tools out in the the field and i wanted to see if you guys could help me narrow it down!!! Thanks!;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need more tools than you think. You are going to need a small 1/4" drive metric set to work around the dash cluster to pull it out. I think I remember them using those odd 7mm screws to hold the cluster in place, and everything under the dash is metric that holds the pedal assembly in place. I had to pull the cluster so I could disconnect the speedo cable, because the cable goes right up through a hole in the pedal assembly. I then had to drop the steering column down, and then push it as far as it would go to the pass side to get the pedals out. I believe the column was held in with 13mm head bolts.

I believe the bolts holding the floor panel on around the shifter are 10mm also, and the seat might be 13mm. So I would also take a 3/8 drive metric set.

I think the clutch master bolts take a 13mm socket.

Take a big screwdriver to use as a pry bar to get the slave cylinder off the bellhousing.

You will need a larger set for the bellhousing bolts. I would take a metric 1/2 drive set that goes up to 19mm. I want to say the bellhousing bolts are 1/2, which take a 3/4 socket, but I am not sure on that. If that's true, 3/4 and 19mm are exactly the same size. I would get a long 1/2 drive extensions to help get the bellhousing bolts out.

The transfer case shifter handle has 8mm bolts holding it on.

I can't remember the size of the bolts that hold the transfer case to the tranny, but I remember a wrench is the only thing that will fit in there to take some of them out if you are going to separate the transfer from the tranny.

Some of the driveshafts are held in with very small 8mm 12 point bolts, so make sure you take a 8mm box end wrench.

The crossmember and crossmember wings are metric also, I think around 15mm heads.

So I would get a small toobox and load it up with 3 socket sets(metric should get everything, even the standard stuff) and a metric set of wrenches from 7mm up to 19mm. Flat and phillips screwdrivers, a larger screwdriver or prybar, some channel locks, etc.

P.S. I just re-read your post and you are going to get a 2wd tranny, but your truck is a 4wd?

Last edited:

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
thank you!! and some stuff i wont need cause its in a junkyard so i dont plan on being very nice to to truck when i tear the stuff out of it! im probly going to have the flip the truck on its side to get the trans out from under it!

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
damn! maybe i should just wait and find a 4x4 zf out of a gen9 idi and get the pedals and stuff out of it!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Depends, is the deal on the ZF you can get now too good to pass up? If it is and it's what you want, go for it....You can generally get a pedal assembly for a Gen9 truck from a JY for around 15 bucks...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
1/2 drive extensions and universal swivel joint also. I usually make sure I am carrying an 18mm assortment also, 1/2, 3/8, standard and deep well. Bell housing bolts are 3/4". Swivel extensions help a whole lot also.;Sweet

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
the trans is out of a 2wd f250. i was goin to swap the tailend to bolt to the transfer case

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....do you have a 4wd output shaft and tail housing?

I am not sure if the 2wd and 4wd have the same output shaft.

But if they did, you could kick this thing's **** fairly easily!!