Bedside Compartments

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
What I am after is a compartment in the bedsides. We are talking a stock bed, nothing like a drop in bed here. I realize that there is not too much space there but I figure it would be enough for stuff like bungees, straps, and such.

I have seen a few of these on the road. One type I see looks almost factory, with the compartments being very clean and blending into the sides. I recently saw an older truck parked with some compartments which looked like they were just cut into the sides.

Has anyone done this here or know anyone who has? I was thinking of 3 compartments on each side-one in front of wheel, one behind, and a skinny one on top. I am concerned about losing strength of the bed. Any tips or ideas? Or just go with a cutoff wheel and find some suitable hinges/locks?

Thanks

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about this too, you will have to make the "compartment" behind where you cut out. I thought about using RV type acsess doors, they're about any size you want and come with all the trim, hinges and latches.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
the older 70's trucks had what they called a "Camper Special" package which had those compartments built right into the bedsides....i have never seen that on a 80+ truck....ive often thought about that and thought it would be handy

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Check the aftermarket bodies built by Stahl. They make a service body with the exact contours as the original body.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations. Regarding the RV doors, I saw that they sell them but 100+ for a single door is a little pricey for me, plus I would not be able to get a custom size. I like the hardware available and used on RV's though so may use some of that.

The truck I saw may have been 70's vintage but the compartment looked custom made. I wish the owner was there so I could have asked.

Those Stahl truck bodies are really nice but are out of my price range. I am trying to do the whole truck on a budget. I am planning on spending maybe $100 max on hardware for around 6 compartments... and then just some more on welding wire and electricity etc.

Any ideas if cutting into the sides will potentially weaken the structure of the bed?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the aftermarket bodies built by Stahl. They make a service body with the exact contours as the original body.
Do they make them for our generation? I thought they only did '99+ SuperDuties?

To the original question...I've thought about doing this as well, but haven't actually done anything about it. IMHO you'd have to be VERY careful with the cutting, and as Ironman said, you will need to put in the bottom, sides, and top of each compartment. That said...I'm not an engineering expert by ANY means, but, if you welded the back of the bottom, sides, and top, to the inner skin (i.e. don't make a separate backing piece), I THINK you won't lose any structural integrity. Please double-check this, as I could be wrong.

I need tool storage in my truck, but I have often wished that I could store them somewhere other than in my toolbox (so I could remove the toolbox and reclaim the bed space...and the wish to maximize bed space is why I'm not interested in a utility body)...if you do this, I would love to see the results! ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've toyed with this idea myself.

The crazy idea I cooked up was to use our laser scanner to make a computer shape source of an OEM box side, then use that to make a mold of the bed sides to make replicas out of composite. I've got two 86' fords that both need new beds and I'd rather replace them with something that won't rust away like the original. A nice mix of glass, kevlar, and some carbon should make if much stronger than OEM with less weight. (same weight would make tank tough)

Being composite, there is much more flexibility in what shape and size of compartment could be fitted to the side of the box. There is a lot of space unused at the sides of the bed between the rear wheel and front that just sits empty in our trucks.

Don't suppose anyone else would be interested in this?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd think if you did something like what they had on the 70's trucks, you'd be fine from a structural standpoint, but I'd want the back of the box frame attached.