bed dimensions

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi all i am getting a new bed tommaro and was wandering what the outside demensions are i have a trailer with 2 foot tall walls on it and inside the walls its 6.5 feet wide can i fit the new bed inside this area or figure a different way about hauling it home? thanks ahead for the comments

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
hi all i am getting a new bed tommaro and was wandering what the outside demensions are i have a trailer with 2 foot tall walls on it and inside the walls its 6.5 feet wide can i fit the new bed inside this area or figure a different way about hauling it home? thanks ahead for the comments

I want to say something like 68 to 70 inches? so it will be close?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The bed of my truck is exactly 76" wide, so your 6.5ft (78") wide trailer can accomodate it no problem - it will be a tight fit, but it will fit. However, there's another way fo transporting a bed, much less likely to cause damage to the bedside paint too - take a find a truck with same size bed, cut some wooden stakes and shove them in the truck's stake pockets so they stick out like 4-6", , place some rags or something on top of truck's bed rails, then flip the new bed upside-down and slide it on the stakes. Strap down as you deem appropriate. Now the stakes will keep the new bed from sliding and falling off while you drive, the straps will keep it from jumping off, and the rags will assure there are no scratches on any bed rail tops.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the problem.
tight fit trailers are death on the nice finish on the sides of the "new" bed.
i haul all my pickup beds using 2x4's set across the width of a pickup bed, flip over the bed that being transported and set it on top of the 2x4's. secured properly, the "new" bed should be at minimal risk of damage.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat knows. That's how I haul beds. And to elaborate on that I use ratcheting straps to secure them down such as these. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95106
but I price match at lowes to get the cost down more.
M.S.L.C.'s method is interesting but rather difficult to get off the truck unless you have an overhead hoist or a forklift.
Can you remove the old bed off the truck the new bed is to be installed on then drive the truck to the place and get new bed installed?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devillish, we actually used Towcat's trick for taking the bed off - a pair of 8ft 2x4's under it and four guys lifting, easy as cake.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well got the bed home its actually used but no rust or dents its off an 89 it didnt fit in the trailer it was about 2 to 3 inches to wide so i put wood planks across the trailer and strapped the bed down on top took it real slow home @ 45 miles any will post picture endever tommaro hopefully i found a website that said the width of the bed is 79" for anyone who was wandering

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance