Battery tenders

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody use these. I'm thinking about getting one to keep the battery s topped up during the cold winter that is fast approaching. I see a few different amp ratings also.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Schumacher 1.5A. I don't leave it on all the time. Wire has a quick-disconnect, and it comes with one wire with clips for the battery terminals and one wire with ring terminals for permanent installation. I actually bought some more of those ring terminal wires, so all three trucks have the quick-dis sticking out from the hood (hooked 'em to the starter relay main power junction point). This allows me to plug any one of the trucks in. It does its job, shuts off when batteries are fully charged (status light). It'd be interesting to put a "Kill-a-Watt" type power meter on the AC side, to see what it's drawing. Should only be a trickle, and should drop to just about zero when it's fully charged. Maybe I'll leave it on the Batmobile hooked up that way for a few days and see what it does.

Probably not needed if you drive it frequently. If you tend to go several days/weeks with it parked, and need the option to drive it on short notice, they're a good idea. Full battery charge is def. more critical in the winter. Battery warmers (wrap-around or under-pad) also help, as capacity drops with temperature; you can gang them in with the block heater so there's just one AC plug sticking out the grille.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the biggest thing I was looking to get answered would be the sizing of 1.5 amp vs 0.75 amp. I suppose the bigger 1.5 may be necessary here.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a 0.75 might not keep up with a dual-battery setup. Thing is, if it's automatic/regulated, you may as well go for the more powerful one.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use one as my truck sits for weeks at a time year round. I had a battery tender brand crap out, and despite their advertised 10 year warranty and a production date sticker on my charger, they wouldn't honor the warranty without a receipt.

I've switched to a ctek unit that I like much better. I also have a optima maintainer on my rock crawler that I really like. I'd buy another of either in a heartbeat.

If you use one, I reccomend checking the electrolyte level in the battery periodically, especially if it sits, to avoid running them low. Also, they're not a cure-all. Even with a battery maintainer on the truck for the past 4 years, I had a battery drop dead the other day. Old batteries still can fail without warning, although I'd hoped for more than 4 years with the light use my truck sees these days.

Ryan

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I don't drive my truck regularly and it sometimes sits for weeks in the winter outdoors in subzero temps. My battery tender has been worth every penny--I can't recommend them enough ;Sweet

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse my electrical ignorance, but can I use one Battery Tender to keep both batteries charged in my 1991? And if so, where would I hook it up?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Just hook it up to the battery of your choice and you should be good to go, provided your grounds are clean and cables are in good shape.

I am an electrical idiot as well, so feel free to ask. They say the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as i have a few vehicles and vessles that do not get operated on a regular basis, i found 2 solar battery tenders at a yard sale.
i picked them up for 10 bucks each. figgured why the hell not.
no plug required, and they work spetacular!

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score

If you use one, I recommend checking the electrolyte level in the battery periodically, especially if it sits, to avoid running them low.
Also, they're not a cure-all. Even with a battery maintainer on the truck for the past 4 years, I had a battery drop dead the other day. Old batteries still can fail without warning, although I'd hoped for more than 4 years with the light use my truck sees these days.

Ryan

^^^^That times 100. I just fell victim to that. I have a Mark VIII that sits a lot, it's our road trip car, not a daily driver. The Mark VIII is highly electrical and it'll kill the battery in less then two weeks if not driven so I use a battery tender, don't remember the brand.

I admit I'm not as good as I used to be on checking battery levels, they make batteries so well these days you can go for years without checking the levels. But when you're charging a battery it boils out the electrolyte, even a tender slowly does this. :( Boiled out the electrolyte, fried the battery. I still use a tender, but not as often.

Frank Martin said:
Folks, with the new Autolite Stay-Full battery you only have to add water three times a year. Yes, the new Autolite Stay-Full battery drinks like a camel and gives you more quick starts than any other automobile battery.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used the deltran jr's for 10 years + on the scooter' I get an extra year outta my battery's. I would get the big one. fwiw.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is could I use a single Battery Tender (the bigger one for RV's) to charge both batteries at the same time? Or do I need one charger per battery?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you leave the cables on, the other will charge as well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if u live in cold climate they are golden...as well...so are heated battery blankets...

block heater + tender + heated battery blankets = VAROOM.....RFN in the cold...

JM2CW