Battery replacement

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Figured I would make a new thread for this recent development. BOTH of my Neverstart batteries failed their load test. Of course wally world wants to give me two more to slap under the hood but I am starting to have other ideas...

I dug through a couple of threads and wanted to ask a few questions. How are you guys that converted to Group 31's doing in colder weather starting?

If I keep two batteries, I would REALLY want to step up to something a little better than the Neverstarts I have.

On that same note, I found a couple of posts about converting to a single Odyssey battery. Something along the lines of: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc2150series.htm

Thanks guys, hit me up with your ideas.

-Dave

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A single super odessey would be nifty, but if it ever farted out on you in the middle of nowhere, you would be up that dirty creek without a propulsion tool.
A pair of group 31s batts is hard to beat. they have tons of extra reserve capacity and if one ever quits on you anywhere, you can get the things at any truck stop ;Sweet and they are generally pretty darn cheap compared to consumer batts for some strange reason
I have the 31s setup and I had no trouble starting in lower than -20 when I was up north a while back, without a block heater. I've had good luck with the ones I've bought at Truck Pro. So far i don't think I've ever got less than 5 years out of one. Not bad for batts that usually run less than a hundred bucks and have 1150 CCA

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I would put an Energizer battery under my hood before putting an Everstart under there. I am on my 2nd set of Yellow top Autozone batteries. Gotta love a 3 year non-prorated warranty!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have 880 cca Federal/Deka batteries with a new Denso starter. I am very pleased with the combo and can not wait to see how winter starting goes this year. Good luck with yours.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two ac delco 875cca batteries, and the mitsubishi starter

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I have too replaced my starter a few years ago with a motorcraft rebuilt. Dealership installed as it failed to start the day after I drove it home from the lot! They covered the bill, thank god.

I hunted through some batteries from Interstate in town...$145 a pop for group 31's...

My Neverstarts surprisingly made it over 5 years before crapping out. Unfortunately the replacement from wally world lasted only a few months.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
A single super odessey would be nifty, but if it ever farted out on you in the middle of nowhere, you would be up that dirty creek without a propulsion tool.
A pair of group 31s batts is hard to beat. they have tons of extra reserve capacity and if one ever quits on you anywhere, you can get the things at any truck stop ;Sweet and they are generally pretty darn cheap compared to consumer batts for some strange reason
I have the 31s setup and I had no trouble starting in lower than -20 when I was up north a while back, without a block heater. I've had good luck with the ones I've bought at Truck Pro. So far i don't think I've ever got less than 5 years out of one. Not bad for batts that usually run less than a hundred bucks and have 1150 CCA

I'm thinking that might be a better idea running the dual 31s. The big Odyssey has an appeal to it...but in nowhere land it doesn't leave you with much room for error. Of course unless I left provisions for a backup...

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Local tractor supply has a smoking deal on group 31, 79$ each, napa here wants 150ish, wish i had known about them before i paid napa:puke:

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look into XS power batteries. They are kind of costly but well worth it. We use them in the Car audio competition world a lot. Work great as a starting batt and would do fine in a diesel.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Look into XS power batteries. They are kind of costly but well worth it. We use them in the Car audio competition world a lot. Work great as a starting batt and would do fine in a diesel.

when i was into car audio i had a car with a seperate audio battery. when the main battery died it started the car with ease untill i could get another one.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Local tractor supply has a smoking deal on group 31, 79$ each, napa here wants 150ish, wish i had known about them before i paid napa:puke:

Hmm, must be just for your area, can't find it online. :dunno

I did look into the XS power batteries...haven't found one that could power this beast yet!

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was into car audio i had a car with a seperate audio battery. when the main battery died it started the car with ease untill i could get another one.

Ive always wired my batts together under the hood so all of them were doing everything together.

I did look into the XS power batteries...haven't found one that could power this beast yet!

a D3100 should do it with no issues what so ever.

Look into a pair of Kinetik HC1800's too.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

i was at the tractor supply in mcminnville a few weeks ago and saw them, if i had of had the money i would have bought them and put the napa's in my 89

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single Group 31 battery?

Just wondering: anybody out there running a single Group 31? I have seen lots of guys with newer Dodge trucks running a single battery, albeit it doesn't really get cold over here.

I know you would have the total CCA of running two, but I've got to say I really like all the real estate you open up under the hood on the Cummins engines I've seen running a single battery.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Just wondering: anybody out there running a single Group 31? I have seen lots of guys with newer Dodge trucks running a single battery, albeit it doesn't really get cold over here.

I know you would have the total CCA of running two, but I've got to say I really like all the real estate you open up under the hood on the Cummins engines I've seen running a single battery.

Hence I was looking at that single Odyssey monster so I could stuff a 6637 filter in the other fender like those PSD guys like to run. :sly

I suppose if it doesn't get below zero, you could get away with a single non-super 31 battery though...

Another idea that came to mind, has anyone done a conversion having two of our normal batteries on the passenger side together?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online