Batteries, Cables, or Both?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I was driving along today, slammed on the brakes, and the trick died. Try starting it and am having a helluva time. I tightened up all my terminals, and after some work, got her started.

I got the truck home, and started digging deeper. I have aftermarket clamp on battery clamps on both of the secondary battery cables. Both of the clamps were loose where the battery bolts to them, although I tightened them about a month or two ago. The negative cable on the primary battery is also clamp on and was also loose and hot. All have been tightened up. I checked the resistances of the battery terminals and found no problems on 3 posts, but the positive post to terminal had about 3k ohms resistance. I took it off and found the positive post was pitted and black. I wire brushed the post and terminal, put the terminal back on and got no resistance. I started the truck a few times and checked again. I had a few ohms resistance.

So.....question is, what is causing the pitting and loosening of the terminals?

Thanks for any help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The loose fitting terminals are how well they fit together. Notice the terminals are taper fit to the posts. Really not the best fit idea... You sure wont find that fit on a semi rig. They are 3/8 studs keeping the volts flowing in those rigs...

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
It was hot after a while of cranking - I initally chalked it up to high resistance from the loose grounds.....

I am thinking of redoing this battery set up to the big rig style terminals (maybe a group 31 upgrade). I primarily found it odd that the positive post is all pitted and black. What would do that?

Thanks guys!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was hot after a while of cranking - I initally chalked it up to high resistance from the loose grounds.....

I am thinking of redoing this battery set up to the big rig style terminals (maybe a group 31 upgrade). I primarily found it odd that the positive post is all pitted and black. What would do that?

Thanks guys!

Corrosion on a battery is caused by leaking sulfuric acid or sulfuric gases coming from the battery vent caps. The terminal itself could have a tiny whole around it allowing the terminal to be black and pitted.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
It seems to be the damnedest thing. I have cleaned cable ends, terminals, and posts a few times now. The terminals themselves are the universal type where the cable ends are clamped into the ends. I guess it is time for a new battery!

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Find an Interstate battery dealer and ask them for a couple used batteries. I got 2 last week for 60 bucks installed and they're maybe a year old. Truck fires up now like someone lit a fire under its ****!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the used Interstate batteries! Put them in almost all my cars!

My truck had Interstate in it when i bought it. They were about a year old and went bad 2 years later. I called up Interstate and asked them the price and warranty. The guy said the price and the warranty would be 3 years. I asked him how come they don't have a longer warranty and he told me because it is a diesel and no battery would last much longer than 3 years in a diesel.

He was right. I went out and bought Die Hard Gold's and they went bad a little after 3 years. I paid a small pro rate charge to have them replaced under warranty. When they installed the new ones the warranty starts from day one which means for the first three years free replacement up until 8 years they are pro rated. Three years later I stopped in and had them test them. They did not hold a charge if you had to crank the truck more than once. They passed their test but allowed me to swap them under warranty for the Die Hard Platinum's and paid the difference. I now have an 8 year warranty with the first 4 years being free replacement.

Do you think they will last longer than 4 years?. I could care less because if they go bad within 4 years I get free replacement and the warranty starts all over again.

So for those that like Interstate batteries, how many sets did you get replaced under warranty? I spent besides the initial set of Die Hard Gold's about $200 and that was for the upgrades to the Die Hard Platinum's in the 10 years I owned the truck. If the Die hard Platinum's go bad and Odyssey is no longer making the Die Hard Platinum for Sears then I get a full refund not of my 200 that I shelled out but whatever the battery price is at the time x2 which could be around 500.

So I like Interstate also for telling me that they would only give a 3 year warranty and directing myself to get a battery with a better warranty.

Oh and those Die hard Platinum's are a totally sealed battery meaning no battery terminal corosion,

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Wow, I was unaware of the DieHard batteries warranty! I liked the Interstate used ones because they were $30, and they make a good product, BUT that warranty has me thinking about the DieHards!

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I might think about them as well when these Interstates go, but it sure is nice if you're a little tight on cash and need your rig to start to only have to drop 60 bucks and be good for a couple years!

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To fix you connection problem, clean your post and terminal and coat them with a conductive paste, anti seize will work. Take the after market terminal apart and dip the cable end in the paste also. Clean the grounds and apply the paste under them. If you do all of the above, your batts will last longer and the engine will turn faster. good luck.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I just picked up 2 Interstate "Blems" for about $40 bucks a piece..... and they work really well. They only have a 30 day warranty.... but for the price, I can buy 8 blems for the price of 2 retail with a warranty...

The real test will be tonight.... the truck has set for a bit over 2 weeks..... with the previous batteries, I would not have any faith that it would start.... I figure it will with the new blems, and if it does not.. I will be surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online