Barrel stove idea wmo/wood

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about building a greenhouse for some winter veggies and mushrooms. Need a way to heat it and maintain a good temperature through out the day or night. Needs to have a thermostat controlled heater and automatic window vent/fan. Trying to use stuff I already have I sketched this out. I have a bunch of barrels and the barrel stove kits are cheap on Amazon. It's a mix of barrel stove ideas off the internet, but I have not seen anyone put a oil gun type burner in one yet. I know someone has probably done it.
Also came up with a boiler version too. Thinking it could be used to heat a hot tub, greenhouse, or multiple other things at one. I would build a little shed to house the boiler in. The boiler would be just a hot water boiler, non pressurized, and use some pumps to move water around. Just have to come up with some good fireproof insulation and safeties.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Found this video and looks pretty cool. He has some good ideas for wood burning.

Cactus Bob

Reaction score
what your building will not last long. 55Gal drums do not last long when used a burn barrels or in this case a furnace. you will have to look for holes every day.
Why not just buy a used oil boiler (people are converting to gas heat every day) it should be cheep and it's the right tool for the job.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have a free source for barrels and will be moving in a few years so it's will not be long term set up. Also there isn't that many oil boilers here on the west coast that I have seen on craigslist or marketplace. Other suggestion to where to look?
Also thinking the refractory will help with it lasting longer. Also would be fun to build and play with.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother uses this same type heater in his large shop but does not use forced air in fire box. Heats very well with 6-2" tubes (exhaust pipe) and a box fan as a blower on medium speed. 4 years old now

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah I think it would last a good while. Just need it for a few years anyways. I plan to put in a little metal shed. This would keep it out of the weather and rusting. I have seen a lot of burn barrels fail from ash and rain water corroding the bottoms out. I have several that lasted for years, but I have lids and empty it regularly. There are burn barrels and heater designs where the metal gets cherry red. If you get the metal that hot you are destroying it's long term integrity. So my goal with the inner refractory is to keep the flame from touching the metal all together and help burn the oil better. It would be like the inside of a furnace burn chamber. The hot gases would then move around and heat then water pipes or heat exchangers.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see they have oil fired hot water heaters. Wonder if that could work on a lower output/demand boiler system. Looks like it can be different BTU outputs from the Bock manufacturer website.

eacars

Reaction score
Been thinking about building a greenhouse for some winter veggies and mushrooms. Need a way to heat it and maintain a good temperature through out the day or night. Needs to have a thermostat controlled heater and automatic window vent/fan. Trying to use stuff I already have I sketched this out. I have a bunch of barrels and the barrel stove kits are cheap on Amazon. It's a mix of barrel stove ideas off the internet, but I have not seen anyone put a oil gun type burner in one yet. I know someone has probably done it.
Also came up with a boiler version too. Thinking it could be used to heat a hot tub, greenhouse, or multiple other things at one. I would build a little shed to house the boiler in. The boiler would be just a hot water boiler, non pressurized, and use some pumps to move water around. Just have to come up with some good fireproof insulation and safeties.
You must be registered for see images attach
This will get your brain going in 5 different directions.. The first oil furnace has water pipes in the floor also that I failed to mention...The second furnace mentioned uses diesel exhuast heat exchanger...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
If I wanted to build this I would line the bottom barrel with 1" firebrick laid in furnace cement. Cover the bottom curve and halfway up the sides. The rear wall - 100% coverage. The I would wrap the barrels tightly with 5/8" OD copper tubing. Gauge the required water flow rate and parallel as many tubes as required to get it with a low pressure drop. Insulate over the outside of the copper wrapped drums - or . . . put the heater/boiler in the conditioned space.
How big will this greenhouse be?
========================

Been thinking about building a greenhouse for some winter veggies and mushrooms. Need a way to heat it and maintain a good temperature through out the day or night.

eacars

Reaction score
How big will this greenhouse be?
========================

Been thinking about building a greenhouse for some winter veggies and mushrooms. Need a way to heat it and maintain a good temperature through out the day or night.
The Amish Oil Burner had 1 1/2" supply and return lines going to a nearby 1000 square foot area..They had hydraulic water pump and hydraulically controlled manifold valves controlling the amount of hot water to that space...

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
Is that what you want? 1000 square feet?

I did like it when the narrator said: "No electric; just pneumatic and hydraulic power."

Hmmm . . . so what drives the oil and fluid pumps? A water wheel? <g>

eacars

Reaction score
Is that what you want? 1000 square feet?

I did like it when the narrator said: "No electric; just pneumatic and hydraulic power."

Hmmm . . . so what drives the oil and fluid pumps? A water wheel? <g>
Diesel engine with driveshaft with mulitple pulleys to run air compressors and hydraulic pumps to supply all shop equipment and controls . Air is for pneumatic equipment, air switches for controls.. Hydraulic pumps for rotor motors...Tables saws, shapers, press breaks etc. I've have others videos of cabinet shop with set ups you wouldn't believe! This shop is a custom wood stove shop... The stoves alone are awesome...Secondary Combustion , self cleaning glass, etc.

eacars

Reaction score
Diesel engine with driveshaft with mulitple pulleys to run air compressors and hydraulic pumps to supply all shop equipment and controls . Air is for pneumatic equipment, air switches for controls.. Hydraulic pumps for rotor motors...Tables saws, shapers, press breaks etc. I've have others videos of cabinet shop with set ups you wouldn't believe! This shop is a custom wood stove shop... The stoves alone are awesome...Secondary Combustion , self cleaning glass, etc.
Actually, They have a generator/ welder on the driveline also for metal fab.

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
But back to business: building a boiler to heat a relatively short term greenhouse situation seems like the long way around the barn. A oil fired drum heater (with refractory to keep the oil flame off the metal) and a pedestal fan to circulate the heated air around the greenhouse seems easier, cheaper, doesn't require antifreeze or freeze-burst risk, and more efficient.

Rather than brick the chamber as I described you could use a preformed heat-retention chamber from Sid Harvey and then fill around it with vermiculite pour-in fill.

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
Apparently those pre-formed chambers are NLA - I just checked for them. I last used one to convert a 1930's coal boiler to oil - about 10 years ago. I imagine that is a Very limited market these days. <g>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online