Banks turbo BAD oil leak!!!!

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im cruisinghome from work the other evening and i noticed my oil pressure dropping slowly i made it home and the gauge was between the N and O. Do yall think any damage was done to the motor it took 3 quarts to top it off? So this afternoon when i got home from work again i checked it out. Looks like the grommet for the turbo drain is completely cracked in half at the bottom. My question is what have others done to make this work again? Order a new one from banks? Or make something work? Have yall had any leaking problems since yall fixed it? Thanks for the help yall.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
3 qts down means 7 qts left, should be fine. Banks has the grommet for less than $3 (I ordered 2). If possible, when you take the drain tube out of the way to replace the grommet, punch a bunch of holes down inside the valley pan drain hole to help the oil drain.

Banks #93043-$2.64ea

Last edited:

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang thats pretty cheap. My turbo system came off a van and is on a f-series. I doubt that matters but i know this turbo kit is the probably one of the first from banks and the grommet that came off the valley pan looks nothing like the one pictured on the bankspower site. I think the man i got it from rigged it up. I think i can make something work although my drain line looks very different from the one pictured also. ill get some pics up soon and yall can give me some insight. Thanks for the help so far yall!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is the turbo wastegated or not.. Might just order up the drain line from banks when you change out the pan grommet. That way you know things will be correct and not shadetree work... Nothing really wrong with shadetree work till you try to buy whats been made... That can be an eye opener...:sly

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol yeah i know what u mean. The only thing is really need to drive my truck to work and stuff wife has the superduty for school. Idk what to do my truck is torn apart right now. We will see what happens.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a non-ggated unit. So i got my drain line and grommets from banks in the mail today. When i went to punch holes in the valley pan there is 2 pieces of sheet metal down there. I punched through the first and i noticed there was another underneath it. My question is do i go through both pieces of sheet metal in there. The top ones seems flimsy and moves around a bit. The other looks like the valley pan i just wanna make sure before i start making unwanted holes. Thanks again yall.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON'T TOUCH THE TOP SHEET METAL VALLEY PAN GASKET.

Down thru the grommet hole on the underside is a baffle, just punch a couple of holes in that. 3/8" holes, use something sharp so you don't knock the baffle off, it's spot welded to the underside.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what happens if i accidently went through the second sheet of metal on one hole? I looked up the instructions on the Gohypermax site and thats what it said to do for the 83'

Copy paste from the hypermax sight.

5. Some intake manifold/tappet chamber cover gaskets do not allow adequate turbocharger oil drainback. This is due to a manufacturing variance. To ensure adequate drain back, punch three holes(1/8” to 3/16” diameter) with a sharp pointed punch or awl through the grommet hole to the gasketbaffle chamber. It will be necessary to perforate two layers of the steel gasket. The layers are about1” apart. The first layer is the top of the baffle chamber, the second is the bottom of the chamber.Be careful not to go any deeper than necessary to perforate both layers to avoid damaging the rollertappet retainer located about 1” below the baffled chamber.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online