BALLJOINT HELP!!!

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anybody in the northern kentucky area that would be willing to help with putting my balljoints in? I am totally lost and so is my dad, never had a ford ttb. Any help would be greatly appricated. Will give cash

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if any one wants to offer help, my number is 859-620-6711, again any help would be appricated and will pay

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
What is the problem? I have done several of them and thought they were pretty self explanatory. Do yourself a favor and rent a ball joint press and go from there.

I can only assume you have the front wheels and brakes off. Then take the nuts off of the ball joints. Use the press and knock the old ones out, and smash the new ones in.

SWS

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's got a 4X4 so it's quite a bit more involved. You may as well do your U-joints while your in there. ;Really I'd help ya, but your a good piece a ways.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
can you post up some pics or descriptions where you are at. we could probably talk you through it

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was that involved? BTW something like a Chiltons really helps, and exploded parts diagrams are nice to have.

As someone else said- get a ball joint press, and get a pickle fork. If you have compressed air use one on an air hammer, if you don't use one with a BFH. That is the ONLY way I was able to separate my ball joints. Also, FWIW I had to pop the top one loose and then get the bottom.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually sat down and read through my haynes manual and it looks not as bad as i thought, although i did find out that one of the 4x4 hubs was held on by broken off allen head screws and the bolt that hold the key for the caliper was broke too. now to get the drive axle out and then the spindle. Btw dad does have a ball joint press.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hub cap screws are a pain...three of mine were pretty stubborn to get out. One of those three was VERY stubborn and I had to mess with it for probably 40 minutes to get it out.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
just fyi, alot of places sell then hub cap screws. dont fight with them. if one or two dont come out, take a drill and just drill the head of it off. then once the hub is off, u can normally unscrew the remaining part by hand. if i cant get them loose on the second try, i just drill them. i dont even try taping a torx bit into it.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easier said than done, man!

First off, I have Superwinch hubs with weird bolts in them (they don't have a shoulder but rather the head tapers down to the shaft- can't get that particular kind anywhere that I know off)

Second, the one I fought with forever...I tried to drill it out and that was what took so long. I was making very little progress drilling, finally I just pounded in a larger allen head bit and the damn thing finally broke loose.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the previous owner broke all them off so i tapped the chrome hub cover with the handle of a hammer and it came off. The screws came out easy.

Ok question, how do i get the drive axle out of the passenger side, the book said something about a clip but can't find it:confused:

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need to know quick, would like to be driving it tomorrow and still have the driver side to do which i was told was quicker

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Unless your passenger side axle is held in by 3 bolts and a ring , you have to drop the center section then remove the "C" clip and pull the axle out. I am not sure what year for went from the 3 bolt to the "C" clip

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your passenger side axle is held in by 3 bolts and a ring , you have to drop the center section then remove the "C" clip and pull the axle out. I am not sure what year for went from the 3 bolt to the "C" clip

i don't see any bolts holding it on. Dropping the center section doesn't make balljoints seem as simple as everyone says it is

So i'm guess that dropping the center section is the only way?

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i don't see any bolts holding it on. Dropping the center section doesn't make balljoints seem as simple as everyone says it is

So i'm guess that dropping the center section is the only way?

You can just cut the steel band around the rubber boot on the passenger axle shaft, and slide the axle out of the rubber boot. No need to pull the inner axle unless you are changing the inner u-joint