bad vibration

1990idi

Reaction score
ok starting around 35 up to 45 mph my truck will have a vibration feels like driveline, if i back off the throttle it will go away. it will start to reapear around 72+ mph. i have checked fluid levels and all is good. the trans is right below the cross hatches. i checked ujoints and stuff a week before the vibration started and they were good, the truck then sat for about a week and then the problem started.... the truck drives fine otherwise. just looking for suggestions.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you ever changed them or the po changed them and used durajunk u-joints, I bet they're done for.
I have one that went bad in a few months. Was tight when I greased it (checked it before greasing) then not even a week later started squealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were original and clanging when i bought the truck. Used that as a way to get the price down and it worked! I have precision ones in both my truck and jeep and am very satisfied with them. Could not get spicers on a weekend so i went with the precision from napa. Made in usa too.

1990idi

Reaction score
i doubt its ever had u joints put in it, truck only has 75k and i picked it up with 60, but i guess ill throw some new u joints in it anyways seeing as how they are 25 yrs old.... juwt out of curiousity could this vibration be a sign of the torque converter going bad? i know three people with various 90-97 7.3 e4od trucks that have had the TC go bad before 100k....

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a multiple piece driveshaft check the carrier/intermediate bearing too. I was getting a strange vibration that almost felt like an engine miss, the bearing was pretty sloppy so I threw a new one in and it cleared the vibration up for me!

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 thats what mine was if not in the steering wheel its usually drive line

If it's a multiple piece driveshaft check the carrier/intermediate bearing too. I was getting a strange vibration that almost felt like an engine miss, the bearing was pretty sloppy so I threw a new one in and it cleared the vibration up for me!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ujoints were ready to fall out @59000 miles. Prolly due to the grease getting hard after 25 yrs.