Bad oil leak

bsays

Longgreenford
Reaction score
I just got back from a 3000 mile trip pulling my TT approx 10,000lbs, the second day into the trip I noticed a oil film on thr front of the travel trailer and upon futher investigation found the under side of my Excursion coated with engine oil which appears to be coming from the bell housing. I used about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon every 500 miles while towing, the stange thing is when I got back home after a few days of normal driving the leak seems to have stopped. It appears to only leak when under heavy load, Could this be a crank case pressure issue? What controls the CC pressure?
Any other Ideas?
BTW this is my wifes 03 excursion, 6,0l

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, not even close, this leak being present under a larger engine load is a dead give away to the failed part. the 03 6.0 motors are the only one to have this style getup, but, the ICP sensor, witch is the output for the pressure in the high pressure oil system is mounted behind the turbo right above the rear engine covers on these year motor. they are notrious for failing, and will look like a rear main seal failure, but will tend to sling more oil.

the reason the loss was more present while pulling was the upted pressure in the motor, so its your ICP sensor, no worries, they fail often.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on if you can do gymnastics or not, and if you have a specailly made special tool to get the large sized icp sensor out that is also very tight in an area with little leverage

so if you get what im saying...

Last edited: