Bad/Noisey wheel bearings?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have this noise in the front end of my truck that sounds like I have a mud tire on one side or something. It's weird though because when i turn to the left, even just a little the sound goes away. When i turn to the right it gets worse.

It starts making noise, that I can hear at about 45 mph and keeps making it as I go faster.

I am thinking a bad wheel bearing but I thought I would post this on OB to see if anyone has an insight.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Check to see if the driveshaft is spinning while the vehicle is moving(check your hubs to make sure one isn't locked).
2. If nothing, jack up the side that's making noise. place a hand on top of the tire and one on the bottom of the tire and shake it back and forth. If you feel play, bad/loose wheel bearings.
3. if that doesn't provide feedback, spin the wheel and listen for grinding. if you can't locate the sound, take off the wheel and spin the hub/rotor. If it's a bad wheel bearing you'll probably feel the vibrations(grinding) while rotating. If it's bad brake pads, you'll see the results via grooved/pitted rotors or uneven wear on the pads.

Just some suggestions :)

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearings it sounds to me. Your explaination of when you slightly turn and the noise changes is exactly how I diagnose bad hub assemblies on newer cars and trucks. Sometimes they feel fine with no play but it only takes one roller bearing to begin to decinegrate and you'll have noise.
I think you already knew your problem so I would pull apart bot sides and you'll find the problem.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I 2nd bad hub bearings. When turning in one direction you take the stress off of the wheel but in the other direction you put more stress on a wheel causing you sound to disapear when turning in one direction.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I think 2. I did check the driveshaft and the hubs the other day when I was replacing the leaf spring and shackle bushings on the truck. Everything checked out OK that way. The brakes are a few months old. I will have a look at the bearings this weekend.

Thanks for the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online