Auto or Manual? which is faster

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, i used to think a manual would be faster in a vehicle. But i have heard in a diesel truck it is different. I have heard that an auto will shift faster than a person can with a manual, and i tend to believe darn near everything this guy says. Anyhow, what do you guys think? I dont know trucks as much as you guys, and not even close to as much as my friend, so i want your guys' opinion. Here's what i have been told. An auto is faster shifting and looses almost no boost, so there is power there faster. And an auto is made to slip through the converter. The converter actually multiplies torque and the auto shifts quick and snappy. Now what do you guys know? Thanks

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
It depends, a healthy auto will out perform a stick in the boost issue and can shift damn fast, but a tired auto is worse than an idiot with a stick... My truck the only noticeable boost loss is because of it defueling when it gets close to the governor, but it never drops below 8 PSI at full throttle. With a stick when you hit the clutch you'll loose boost. As far as the torque converter multiplying torque, not so much, it does allow slip and therefore you'll get to your torque and horse power peeks sooner, and at speed they don't slip nearly as much or (with a good locking converter) at all.

DragRag

Reaction score
Automatic is faster then any of our manual transmissions. I can shift a top loaded with a hearst shifter pretty darn fast, but the throw on a t19 and a zf 5 is just to far and the turbo will stay spooled with an auto and won't with a stick. It's not even an argument really, if quarter mile times is what you are after, in our trucks an auto is the way to go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My E4OD wil shift faster than any "stock" standard trans but... I have around $8000.00 in my trans....:eek::angel: Its a BTS with a Gear Vendors behind it... The torque converter is a triple disc that has 150 square inches of friction material where the stock converters have only 25 square inches of fritction material... But they still work great with that small amount of friction material. So you know the triple disc will never break down in our trucks... We just can't put down enough power to really hurt them... I'm sure a prepared drag standard trans will shift faster than what I have but thats only a wasg too....:angel::D Looking back if I had this to do over again I would have added the gv to a zf 5 speed standard trans... And tell the wifey.... Tuff *******... Learn how to shift for yourself or don't drive my rig!!!... Yea... that was gonna happen...... I can always dodge the first shoe... Its the second one that gets me....:hail:love::yell: Jus kidden ya... The wife can shift just fine... she chooses not to....:rolleyes:

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
It all depends if your drag racing or towing. Drag racing, yes the auto would out perform the stick for all the reasons stated. Since I don't care about drag racing I'll stick with the manual since mines a daily driver, towing rig and spend a lot of time in the woods hunting and fishing.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully agree. I like a manual, but i was just pondering what would be faster. thank you guys.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For drag racing a truck turbo diesel, auto will out perform in acceleration everytime. Yea, a weak auto will give up a lot, but any manual in a pickup is long throw, and very slow shifting. It's been proven many times in pickups that an auto truck putting out less rwhp will run with or ahead of a more powerful manual equipped truck.

For work n stone reliability, I'm all for a manual transmission, plain and simple.

Now, throw a short throw manual trans behind a quick, high revving gasser, and it will out accelerate an auto, but even still, a lot of fast gasser drag cars are auto too. I think its more for consistency in that aspect tho.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For drag racing a truck turbo diesel, auto will out perform in acceleration everytime. Yea, a weak auto will give up a lot, but any manual in a pickup is long throw, and very slow shifting. It's been proven many times in pickups that an auto truck putting out less rwhp will run with or ahead of a more powerful manual equipped truck.

For work n stone reliability, I'm all for a manual transmission, plain and simple.

Now, throw a short throw manual trans behind a quick, high revving gasser, and it will out accelerate an auto, but even still, a lot of fast gasser drag cars are auto too. I think its more for consistency in that aspect tho.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Well first, what transmissions are we talking about?

Auto: C6 or E4OD

Manual: T-19 or ZF5

If you want to go 5 speed against 5 speed, then a ZF5 will beat a E4OD all day, there is a reason the E4OD is called the "slushbox"

T-19 against a C6 would be a close call, but then again, you could clutchless shift a T-19 no problem and lose no boost.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you want to go 5 speed against 5 speed, then a ZF5 will beat a E4OD all day, there is a reason the E4OD is called the "slushbox"

T-19 against a C6 would be a close call, but then again, you could clutchless shift a T-19 no problem and lose no boost.

We're talking any turbo diesel, any auto vs manual that you can put behind em. You will lose boost with a manual clutchless shifting, you lose boost as soon as you left off the accelerator. Absolutely NO truck manual will shift as quick as an auto. Enough of this ******* match, when it comes to drag racing any turbo diesel, a manual can't keep up with an auto at the same power level. Don't believe me, talk to Jeff Prince. Ask what his et dropped simply by converting to an auto.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I should also clarify, the whole discussion started when comparing a 400rwhp cummins with nv4500 vs 275rwhp cummins with 47rh, both of which I owned at the same time. In a 1/4 mile, the manual just couldn't edge out the auto. It would pull ******* the topend, just sluggish out of the hole.

Also, there are dyno sheets somewhere on the net, maybe a trans builder, that show a torque converter increasing torque values from what they found at the flywheel. As the converter would reach its stall, the impeller n turbine would start to get closer in speed. The comparison of a wound up rubber band catching up with itself was used.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I should also clarify, the whole discussion started when comparing a 400rwhp cummins with nv4500 vs 275rwhp cummins with 47rh, both of which I owned at the same time. In a 1/4 mile, the manual just couldn't edge out the auto. It would pull ******* the topend, just sluggish out of the hole.

Also, there are dyno sheets somewhere on the net, maybe a trans builder, that show a torque converter increasing torque values from what they found at the flywheel. As the converter would reach its stall, the impeller n turbine would start to get closer in speed. The comparison of a wound up rubber band catching up with itself was used.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
No ******* match here, not my fault if you have a problem with other peoples opinions :dunno

I know (and many others) that a manual works better for racing and I'm sticking up for it, I really don't care if you believe it or not because it's all in how good you can drive.

But what do I know right? I'm just some guy on the internet :rolleyes:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

Well.... Ok.... Might want to show some facts to go along with your spoken word here... I'm interested in how you came to your conclusion that an auto is not a fast as a standard trans when it comes to shifting... Surely you must have something that didn't get printed here... Plenty-o-people want to know what you got that tells you this about the auto vs the standard.... Put your ******* match aside... I'm just wondering what you know... I can still learn a thing or two... My experiance tells me the auto is faster than the standard.... Of course if your refering to a well worn auto that can't shift to get out of its own way then yes... A standard is faster but thats not what we are referancing here. The question was best trans for fastest shift to maintain boost.... Standard or auto... Not standard against a slushbox.... Thats not a fair example... As others have posted on this question... The long throw of the ZF is no way going to beat an auto.... I guess if you cut down the shaft and bent way over you could "speed up" the shift some but... Is a ZF designed for such a "fast shift"..... I'm not thinking so..... Hang around till towcat chimes in here... He is known for being well informed about any standard trans especially the ZF... Now if you were to intraduce a Muncy M22.... Yes... Those are very fast shifting manual 4 speed trans but they were designed for just that.....:sly