ATS Turbo Install

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished putting an ATS Aurora 2000 Turbo on Project 300 (87 F-250 6.9L). I drove it around and it felt a lot stronger and smoother. I checked for exhaust leaks and did not feel or hear any. I checked the the intake hoses and they seemed ok.

My question is will you see a power increase by installing a turbo without turning up the fuel delivery?

From my dyno runs it looks like you don't gain power without adding more fuel.

This sounds simple but I figured I would have seen a power increase with just the turbo alone? It sure felt a lot stronger and smoother with the turbo compared to without it.

Below is a link to the dyno charts.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll feel an improvement. at worst, the motor is more efficient. turning up the fuel screw will advance the fuel rate and volume. by doing so, you'll really see a bigger improvement on the seat of the pants power.
congrats, you're the first to have done a before and after dyno sheet on a IDI;Sweet

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What psi is the wastegate set at? If it is 6 lbs it will be hard to get a lot of improvement.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed the ATS onto my new Jasper engine on my old 88, I didn't turn up the fuel until the engine was run a bit. It had basically no extra power, without more fuel. I mean, it might have had more on the top end where it would blow a little smoke pre-turbo, and then after the turbo install it had no smoke (using the fuel better since it had more air) but bottom end and such was the same. Crank up the pump! :D
Jerry

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do you still have the original exhaust on the thing? When I first put my turbo on it didn't do much, but it was because the old muffler was so clogged with soot it was choking the engine down. When I cut that thing off, there was so much crud in there I could barely lift the thing. Then I went to a 4" straight through muffler and pipe and it made all the difference in the world

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Jason.. The above is very true. In orange County I found a muffler shop that installed my 4 inch straight pipe. The name is weldin Works. Grant Farwell owns it and the web site is WWW.welding-wors.com the phone number is 714-744-5854. You will not be disappointed with their work.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
when i first put my turbo on i was dissapointed it ran almost exactly the same until i turned up the fuel. that brought it to life, now is the time if you dont have to get a pyro. its a needed item if you are tinkering with the fuel screw.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i first put my turbo on i was dissapointed it ran almost exactly the same until i turned up the fuel. that brought it to life, now is the time if you dont have to get a pyro. its a needed item if you are tinkering with the fuel screw.

+1 on that. I had the same results too with the same fuel setting after the turbo was on. Bumped the fuel a little and HELLO!!!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for sharing. I am having a little trouble understanding those graphs. What was peak HP/Tq NA then turbo with stock fuel and then with the fuel turned up 1/4 turn? My old IP I think was slightly turned up when I got it and the truck was still NA. There was a definite power increase by the seat of my pants, but perhaps not in reality, same as you. I had to replace the pump not too much later and I turned it up about two or 3 flats and went with a 7.3 style pump. I really did wonder about if there was a power increase. So much so that I wanted to do a before and after and was willing to pay for it. Unfortunately the arrangements fell through and that didn't happen. Also it seemed like it was a lot more of a beast after I ditched the muffler and went 4" straight pipe from the downpipe back and swapped in a manual tranny.