ATS Turbo id and info needed

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
A local guy has an 85 or 86 F250 6.9 C6 with ATS turbo for sale. I don't know anything about the ATS setups and haven't found much of anything online for a reference with pictures so I could identify it. It was probably installed close to when the truck was new. Any help with a model number or info would be appreciated. I wasn't able to look at it for long, but it looks like the downpipe is made into the turbo outllet?
The whole truck has been "rode hard and put up wet" and not in the best shape. I was looking at it for a possible turbo kit for one of my trucks.

Is this turbo model even worth the time to pull and swap? I know "how used" condition makes a lot of difference. But is this a bad, decent, or good model to start with?

Thanks,

Ronnie

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a non-wastegated 085 model. I haven't dealt directly with the 085 compared to the 088, but while any turbo's better than going naturally-aspirated, I wouldn't say it's anything to write home about, either. Unless it's in very poor shape (i.e. too much shaft play/the turbo needs to be rebuilt), IMHO it's reasonable at $300 to maybe $400...MAYBE $500 if you're buying the whole truck and there are other parts you can make use of or sell off.

JMHO...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a good turbo, easy to mod for more boost at lower rpm. If you get it just ask me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ does a great job of getting more bang out of nearly any turbo. He has been around with planty of years working on these turbos and trucks making great improvements in power at a fair price...

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far.

What about the downpipe? Is it made as one piece with the turbo or relatively easy to replace? Any chance it would with a manual trans (ZF5 or a Spicer in a IH Uhaul), or would it have to be cut and welded?

Are there any checks I can do to ascertain the condition of the turbo with it still on the truck? The truck was running, but currently needs a starter so I can't listen to it or drive it at the moment. I am not sure how many miles are actually on the truck, it is currently showing 99k. This may be accurate, but most likely it is 199k. The original owners were an older couple who used it to pull a travel trailer and a daily driver for the husband. The second owner has had it for at least 5 years and has not treated it well. The power windows quit working, and he just cut the wiring in the door jambs and swapped the doors out for manual doors. The interior is mostly complete, but very well used, faded, and stained. It is an ext cab long bed 2wd. Minor dents and bad paint everywhere with just a little rust on the bottoms of the front fenders.

If I do get the turbo, it will be as a complete truck for parts.

I am considering the cab and front cap for a project of mounting it on my 79 reg cab short bed 4x4 frame for a super short hunting truck with more interior space (rear cab corners would be about 1.5" in front of my rear tires). I was really wanting a 94-96/7 cab for the updated interior.
I would be pulling the turbo to put on the 7.3 in my IH Uhaul, or on the 7.3 from my 90 E350 putting that into my 91 Chevy R3500 crew cab with a ZF5.
The rest would be parts and or scrap.

The guy that has it really wants about a grand for it. Current scrap price for it around here would be about $600. I am trying to decide it if it is worth it to meet him in the middle at about $800.

Thanks again,
Ronnie

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
085, same one I have. Mine came out of a 6.9/C6 truck and bolted right on to my 7.3/ZF5. Compared to NA, it made a world of difference. Pre-turbo pulling my 5er up a steep grade the truck wouldn't hold 3rd gear, and 2nd gear at 3000rpm is about 30mph. Post turbo and with bigger tires (went from 33's to 35's) it will hold 3rd gear up the same hills for about 50-55mph. It's non-wastegated so it doesn't add much for around town driving, but hook a load on and run the engine at 2500rpm plus it's a whole new animal.