ats exhaust

deadeyeb

Reaction score
I'm looking into a ATS turbo and exhaust upgrade for my 94 idi turbo. Would like to hear from somebody who has done the swap for advice and are you happy with the upgrade. I'm hoping to increase mileage and decrease exhaust temps on my camper towing.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there was a guy here from your neck of the woods who said he did those upgrades on an F-Superduty. He said that it was a waste of money, not a bunch of gain for about $800 spent. That factory turbo is plenty strong, you do want to get a real downpipe instead of that flattened factory one. The other stuff might help but its probably just making ATS extra money. Get the upgraded downpipe, a pyro and boost gauge, and turn up the fuel...and I believe you'll see a difference,
J.D.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go by diesel fundermentals MORE AIR IN - MORE EXHAUST OUT then look at the downpipe you will see that it is worth it. The stock d/pipe is 2 1/4 dia that has been run over by a fork lift - in other words really restrictive. Get the turbo outlet and 3 inch down pipe, then a 4 inch exhaust system for a 94 1/2 power choke. Then do the intake mod, either ram air or cowl induction. Put in your boost and pyro - now you can increase the boost and turn up the fuel. If you need more info let me know, so far have done 5 of these mods, some were easy - one was a real pita, the housing bolts (5/16 - 12 point) rounded, the up pipe bolts were frozen, had to cut the pipe.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I helped PAFixItMan put on a new down pipe and upgraded exhaust housing. He'll probably chime in soon. Only thing is, we did it when he first put the turbo on, so there isn't a before and after comparison for him, but from the way it looked, I'd say it was money well spent.

pafixitman

Reaction score
As Agnem said, I do not have a before to compare to. We did cut the factory DP and looking at that part alone, I do not understand why everyone w/ a factory turbo is not upgrading. Rich had a problem w/ the DP sealing at the turbo. I have had mine off twice in the past 6 months and never had a problem getting it to seal. IMHO, it is worth it.

deadeyeb

Reaction score
Already have a pyro and boost and oil temp gauge on the truck. I had about 8# of boost until my exhaust hanger rotted off, the exhaust at the turbo got all beat up from supporting the exhaust system. I have about 4.5 to 5# now sounds like crap. Any suggestions for turbo elbow and down pipe and exhaust. I have some 3 inch 16 gauge stainless pipe, could I make this fit or is it tricky getting everything bent up.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there was a guy here from your neck of the woods who said he did those upgrades on an F-Superduty. He said that it was a waste of money, not a bunch of gain for about $800 spent.

that guy was me.if i had the time and money to drive to ATS i would rip that pile of junk off my truck and throw it threw thier show room glass windows in the middle of the day with it full of customers and tell them to take it and stick it where the sun dont shine!!!!!!!here it is a year after i put it all on and my downpipe to turbo outlet still leaks like a mother,the butt it together with a band clamp connection for the front pipe to downpipe leaks like a mother.the tail pipe hits my fuel tank skid plate,spring,and frame.instead of lower EGTs mine went higher.

where are you located in MA.?you can come by and see this hacked mess pile of scrap with your own eyes before you waste your 800 bux

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Banks also sells the downpipe and then you could go 4" exhaust from there. Maybe a good muffler shop could fab a 3" DP from aluminized tubing (don't really need stainless unless you're in the salt), then go 4" from there. Might try scavenging a 4" exhaust from a '94-'97 PSD because the frames are pretty much the same.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
I don't know where things went wrong on your kit, but I do know there is a signifigant difference how the tailpipe runs between a pickup chassis versus a commercial chassis. I really doubt the ATS kit was designed for a commercial chassis, so how it rubs against your gas tank was not factored in. Just for those who don't know, the pickup rear tank does not protrude below the frame rail as it does with the commercial chassis. As far as the downpipe not sealing up, I do not know how to answer that problem. I had such a tough time with getting mime to seperate from the outlet housing, I unbolted the body and lifted it in order to gain room for the whole turbo package to be pulled when I did my engine job.
I can't answer to the difference between factory stock versus ATS aftermarket since I had the kit in the first place when I bought the truck. I can tell visually there is a huge difference between the factory outlet and the ATS outlet of at least an extra 1/2" of internal diameter. Also, I did go ahead and buy the IC kit that ATS sold and am very happy overall with it too. The truck is a rocket when fully warmed up and has great throttle response in this cold weather;Sweet I really need to get a pyro into this thing and really crank up the feul and boost.:D
here's a suggestion, if you don't want to go the entire kit there's always the Banks downpipe option and that should eliminate the crushed downpipe from the factory.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I bought just the elbow and DP from ATS about $300 big difference cooler temps and mine sealed up just fine 94f450SD I think is the only one I've ever heard thats had that big of a problem

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
I don't know where things went wrong on your kit, but I do know there is a signifigant difference how the tailpipe runs between a pickup chassis versus a commercial chassis. .
im not worried about that.its the fact that for 800 bux they couldnt use a flange and clamp to hold the down pipe to the outlet housing like stock and every other downpipe made.also te butt the pipe to the downpipe and hope it seals???come on you mean to tell me that they couldnt spread the pipe so it would fit over the downpipe?and that stupid twisted bracket that is supposed to hold the down pipe up and in the outlet and away from the tanny?it dont even work on an automatic truck cuz the tranny dipstick tube is in the way.i had to make a piece myself to bolt the pipe in.its a waste of 800 bux and ATS should be ashamed of themselves for designing such a hacked mess.i couldve done a better job useing flex pipe!!!!the only people that even know i have the ATS kit in my truck are on this forum and on SDD.im embarrassed to tell someone i wasted 800 bux on junk!!!-cuss -cuss -cuss :frustrate :frustrate and a big FU to ats :flipa

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's no question that the ATS crushed downpipe should be deep sixed in favor of a real downpipe. More airflow means more boost and lower EGTs which is what you want. I just thought you should know about Rich's experience before you let ATS sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need which won't help you. $800 is a lot of money at least for me..I want it to count,
J.D.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
im not worried about that.its the fact that for 800 bux they couldnt use a flange and clamp to hold the down pipe to the outlet housing like stock and every other downpipe made.also te butt the pipe to the downpipe and hope it seals???come on you mean to tell me that they couldnt spread the pipe so it would fit over the downpipe?and that stupid twisted bracket that is supposed to hold the down pipe up and in the outlet and away from the tanny?it dont even work on an automatic truck cuz the tranny dipstick tube is in the way.i had to make a piece myself to bolt the pipe in.its a waste of 800 bux and ATS should be ashamed of themselves for designing such a hacked mess.i couldve done a better job useing flex pipe!!!!the only people that even know i have the ATS kit in my truck are on this forum and on SDD.im embarrassed to tell someone i wasted 800 bux on junk!!!-cuss -cuss -cuss :frustrate :frustrate and a big FU to ats :flipa

You know, the sad thing about men is they don't know how to express their emotions. Take Rich for example, He's having a hards time finding the words to tell us all how he really feels about the ATS upgrade. I think we ought to start an IDI support group for Rich so he can finally vent. :rotflmao ;p

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I bought the banks downpipe and it fit with a flange just like the original factory crushed pipe. It cost around $120 (dont remember for sure) I havent had any problems with it, but I dunno if it was worth it or not. It sure does look better than the one I took out as far as flow is concerned.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not worried about that.its the fact that for 800 bux they couldnt use a flange and clamp to hold the down pipe to the outlet housing like stock and every other downpipe made.also te butt the pipe to the downpipe and hope it seals???come on you mean to tell me that they couldnt spread the pipe so it would fit over the downpipe?and that stupid twisted bracket that is supposed to hold the down pipe up and in the outlet and away from the tanny?it dont even work on an automatic truck cuz the tranny dipstick tube is in the way.i had to make a piece myself to bolt the pipe in.its a waste of 800 bux and ATS should be ashamed of themselves for designing such a hacked mess.i couldve done a better job useing flex pipe!!!!the only people that even know i have the ATS kit in my truck are on this forum and on SDD.im embarrassed to tell
hey rich-
have you seen how the hypermax outlet pipe mates and seals up to the turbo? you'll have a stroke if you see how they did theirs.:eek::D
btw...I'm just giving you a bad time. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger