ATS 088 upgrades

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yall i have a good ats 088 turbo with now play at all but what i wanna know is can i get a 60-1 wheel for it? ik the compressor side uses t04e parts so will that work? i just wanna see if i can squeeze a lil more boost out of it

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, A 60-1 wheel mod takes about 3 hours of machine work to fit in the stock housing and backplate assy. Theres no kit , each one is hand blended to the scroll due to variances in castings.

Can this PLEASE be put in FAQ.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, type up what you want it to say, and I'll stick it in there. I didn't realize we get this question very often. :dunno

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I think a tech article devoted to the 088 system would be really awesome ;Sweet It would be nice to include the parts list/breakdown, stock turbo specs/design (a mystery for most people), upgrades and maybe a little history from ATS... I don't know who started offering IDI turbo kits first, but the 088's were one of the earliest and most common it seems...

Wouldn't hurt to include what a ROYAL PITA they are to install and remove haha LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a tech article devoted to the 088 system would be really awesome ;Sweet It would be nice to include the parts list/breakdown, stock turbo specs/design (a mystery for most people), upgrades and maybe a little history from ATS... I don't know who started offering IDI turbo kits first, but the 088's were one of the earliest and most common it seems...

Wouldn't hurt to include what a ROYAL PITA they are to install and remove haha LOL

Mine walked together Rot Box....a had a lot of help from a real mechanic who actually did most of the work, i had cobbled the kit together in advance, and the downpipe even came out okay a year later when we did a transmission swap..unbelievably. Only problem I see with the 088 is that like the other turbos for our engines they were designed not to break stuff not for max power. That isn't altogether a bad thing for guys like me with old reused headbolts and no internal engine mods though.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the performance of my 088 for the most part. It's a little sluggish off bottom, but it spools up nicely and its great out on the highway. Good all around IDI turbo imo ;Sweet

If it weren't for that cast slip coupler the instal/removal wouldn't be terrible. I've only done 3 installs and removals on the 088's and all were seized together at the coupler making them nothing short of a nightmare to remove LOL I had to unbolt the front cab mounts and bring the whole assembly out the top. After I got them separated (out of the truck) it was nothing short of a nightmare trying to get them back together again in the truck LOL I was thinking next time I'd do like the 6.0 guys do and just take the whole cab off and save the headache :rotflmao

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah when i pulled mine out the parts truck it was a reall pain, i took the head and everything off to just have spairs

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Not sure if I should say this at this point, but I got my 088 off a truck by removing the pass side exhaust manifold and it twisted up out of there with the slip joint still intact.;Sweet

I really need to find a truck to put that baby on.:D

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my turbo and down pipe out at the same time, it wouldnt come apart, took it down to have the EGT hole welded closed and when I went to drop it back in the pipe fell out under the truck. :(

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I took my turbo and down pipe out at the same time, it wouldnt come apart, took it down to have the EGT hole welded closed and when I went to drop it back in the pipe fell out under the truck. :(

Huh, there you are, :dunno I figured you must have bought a Dodge by now or something.:D

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
So, say a guy has an 085/088 turbo kit, and an 093. What's to prevent him from slipping the whole 093 intake housing, center housing and wheels into an 088 kit and having the low end boost of the 093 with the 3" downpipe of the 085/088. Noteably there would be no WG, but :puke: on that.LOL

It seems the intake housing intakes are the same size (sorry to hash the tech terms) as for the out hole. If the exhaust wheels are the same which I think I remember Russ saying he "thought" they were, then I can't find a reason it won't work. Shouldn't the center housing bolt to the other exhaust housing just the same???????

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exhaust wheels are not the same, over 1/2 inch difference dia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online