are they the same

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall that the glow plug relay has the housing filled with a special inert gas, whereas IIRC the starter relay's simply open to the atmosphere. I don't know if they'll interchange, though...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
the starter relay grounds through the body. The glow plug relay grounds through one of the two screw posts on the top of the relay.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
And don't buy the look alike fake ones... Mels did a R&R on what he felt was a good deal on an aftermarket solenoid. It failed shortly. So he took both the ford and the aftermarket apart and fond why the ford was more expensive... Better built with better material....

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in a pinch one day when my glowplug relay died and I was able to rob a starter relay off a parts truck. That was 2 years and 16000 miles ago and the glowplug relay I bought to replace the starter relay when it died is still in my toolbox. The glowplug relay probably is different and better but I am going to see how far the starter relay gets me mostly out of curiosity.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I also used a starter relay in a pinch once. It worked fine till I swapped a Motorcraft relay back in. That starter relay that I used would make a whistling/hissing noise when the GP's were lit up, LOL but the thing didn't melt or short out or anything.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked them up in an identical manner. When my GP relay failed, it made a noise like an angry bumble bee was stuck in a jar or something the last few time I started it. Once you hear it making noise when energized, replace immediately because mine made enough smoke that I believe it would have caught fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online