Are the idi's worth keeping?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the engine is not usually the death of these trucks, but rather the nagging rust and mechanics of 30 old parts. In that respect, Ford of that vintage seems superior to the others. I almost sold mine down the river for a clutch (LUK, $1500 installed at an indy shop together with misc preventative repairs while it was on the lift). I think the IDI is cool but that is not the reason I keep mine driving, the real reason is that it does the job for me and it is cheap to own by comparison to any alternative.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll go against the grain...I love the truck but hate the lack of power. Mine must be worse than most as it struggles to pull its self uphills much less with a load. Won't hold set speed on any incline with the cruise on.

Too bad it would cost more than the trucks value to put a turbo on it. Plus then I'd be pulling the heads to do studs and gaskets.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't worry about that too much. I don't have anywhere to be all that fast.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
It all depends how you value your truck. I value mine at what it would cost to replace it with a similar newer truck, say an '02 Superduty 7.3. The replacement cost of my truck would be $16-20,000. Its a shame that some feel these trucks are all but worthless. I hold a high value to mine.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I drive like a granny. But this thing us downright dangerous at times.

Ford F834

Reaction score
Too bad it would cost more than the trucks value to put a turbo on it. Plus then I'd be pulling the heads to do studs and gaskets.

Others have had good luck replacing bolts with studs one at a time in torque sequence with the heads on. Decent wastegated turbo kits can be found for $600-ish, older non-gated kits for $300-ish. Just sayin'. Even if you bought a new CHRA I would not say you are investing more than the truck is worth. Definitely not more than the cost of replacing it with a newer more powerful truck :)

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Chris, both the IDI and the PSD engines thrive with the pedal on the mat! The IDI in particular was designed and tested running on the governer. I have a 4K gov spring and run up to 38-3900 rpm's all the time. Driving like a grandpa and being unhappy with the lack of power seem contradictory. You can't be afraid to wring these engines for what they're worth.

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell yes they are! I'm 27 years old and I love my F250 and the 6.9 with 306k on it. I even backed out selling mine last week for $4500. Guy had the money in his hand and I just couldn't do it, so I went inside and deleted the ad.
My son will 2 years old here next month and I plan on still driving this ole girl around even after he starts driving.

To each their own

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are sought-after vehicles in my area. I've only seen two, in four years of searching 15 large junkyards for car parts, and they were stripped to the frame in days.

you're not going to see many in junkyards as they only like to keep around later model vehicles- that's where the money is.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll go against the grain...I love the truck but hate the lack of power. Mine must be worse than most as it struggles to pull its self uphills much less with a load. Won't hold set speed on any incline with the cruise on.

Oh I drive like a granny. But this thing us downright dangerous at times.

one of the few other idi trucks iv personally encountered,the owner said the same thing to me.it was a 8th gen n/a tow truck.at the time,my truck (chip truck) was n/a as well.
i said something doesn't sound right at all.so we went down the road.we pull out and it slowly goes.to my shock after a 1/2 mile or so,he says; it's been floored since we took off! lmao!
i said oh hell no.turn around,lets hop in mine...keep in mind still n/a (fresh ip/injectors/properly timed.) when we took off in mine,he was all smiles as i stabbed the throttle and bounced him in the seat it a bit.i don't think he believed they had the power they did,as much as i couldn't believe his didn't.
so as we're going along,i says so as you can see.they're not modern turbocharged diesels or anything,but they should get out of their own way just fine...and in fact,too fast if a cop is watching.
so i always tell everyone to be sure to do a compression test,and if good,then give the truck a idi tuneup.fresh reman ip/new injectors/timed 6-10 BTDC (anywhere in here our not going to "feel" a difference.)

that tow truck.good god.i couldn't imagine what it would be like trying to haul a car!.you could probably get out and push faster.:D

don't add a turbo to an out of tune idi truck,cus your still only going to get fresh n/a performance at best.as for pulling heads.no studs required (for turbo kits around 10 lbs.) that's been proven for the last 30 years.anyone who claims otherwise,has a set to sell ya.

the problem these days with an idi tune up (with decent quality parts) is it's going to set ya back around a grand.that's pretty expensive % wise when you figure many idi trucks sell for less and with probably the average just going for about twice that.that's a lot of $ for most to sink into their trucks.especially the well worn out and rusty idi trucks. (that 8th gen tow truck with n/a idi/zf5 with very high miles for example.i wouldn't have sunk a grand into that engine.that particular truck wasn't worth it.i dunno if he ever did either......i would have fed her a set of reman injectors though,cus what was in it,were shot! probably 150k over due.then the ip probably would have died though lmao.)

edit;
n/a idi trucks will still bleed off speed quickly on real hills though.don't expect the world.your moving 6500-8k lbs with just a whisker over 100 ponies under the hood (probably around 130-140 in fresh tune.) so having your cruise not hold her speed is normal."dangerous" should never fit the description of the n/a idi's performance though,if all things are in tip top.even with the 5.13's driving log truck home (her only n/a drive) she wanted to bleed off on the hills.you need to feed 'em the oil pre-hill.

Last edited:

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my research, looking online and following racinndrumin ' s idi build on fte, the idi is more than capable of producing mild powerstroke/cummins power, I think 350 hp and 700+ torque is what I last saw on YouTube, and that was on a stock factory turbo 7.3 bottom end, the heads were rebuilt with better Valve springs and it had modified cam to bleed off compression. The other mods were a higher cc injection pump and bigger turbo.

The only real limit of the idi engine is our imagination, trial and error and our pocket books. With 3d printing now available, we might be able to redesign the 7.3 heads for direct injection or a better 7.3 idi turbo block not so prone to cavitaion.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my two 6.9'd will never get rid of them. I recently purchased a f350 CCSB 6.0 for hauling the camper, doing the heavy hauls and needed a crew cab to get the family around. The power and updated interior is also nice in the newer trucks but since I fell in love with my king ranch seats I'm now looking for some for both the IDI's. Love the simplicity and reliability of the old girls but damn is that 6.0 a joy to drive.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all depends how you value your truck. I value mine at what it would cost to replace it with a similar newer truck, say an '02 Superduty 7.3. The replacement cost of my truck would be $16-20,000. Its a shame that some feel these trucks are all but worthless. I hold a high value to mine.

i got into my 01 SD for under 8k was well worth it. really comfortable on long rides.
but.....
my 87, she worth her weight in gold. and thats alot of GD gold!
i prefer to drive my 87. she was a **** box when i got her, but i fell in love. and she keeps getting better and better of every turn of the wrench and arc of the welder :D

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have spent hours upon hours, equally into days, searching for a 92-94, 4wd, 5 Spd IDI and I won't be happy until I find one I can buy. I've no doubt that when I do find my truck I will love it, drive it, and work it for the next 20 years.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have spent hours upon hours, equally into days, searching for a 92-94, 4wd, 5 Spd IDI and I won't be happy until I find one I can buy. I've no doubt that when I do find my truck I will love it, drive it, and work it for the next 20 years.

you can build em cheaper than you can buy em :)