Anyone with a working knowledge of ZF5 take a look...

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the first time I posted this the forum was all hossed up. Take 2....

I hope I did not screw myself. The shifter on the ZF I got was really loose so I decided to pull the shifter and take a look, as soon as I lifted the shifter up I heard the dreaded sound of metal parts falling down a metal hole. All I found was the little metal piece on the upper right side of the shifter hole. Is that oriented right? I put it like that based on the wear marks. Also what does that thing do?

Am I missing anything else?

The slop I found is the aluminum rectangular piece that connects everything up in the shifter housing is totally worn out where the steel rod goes through it. Is that part replaceable?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Ok i have had my ZF apart many many times. More times than i like to count. You can take that as you like because i dont know if that is bad or good. You are missing a spring that goes right where i have circled in red. This is your reverse lock out. It makes it so you cant go from 5th to reverse. The spring is what you may have heard fall down inside.

So the entire piece that you took off you think is worn out? There will be 4 alen bolts holding the metal plate onto that aluminum piece that you took off. You will see 2 square plastic looking things probable stuck to shift shaft you just pulled off. Make sure those are still in one piece. They are directional and they only go one way. They kind of snug down inside of the alum piece. That ball thing you see stick out of the alum shift tower you took off is what keeps the shifter stiff and what you feel when you go from full left to full right while in neutral that ball and spring (detent) might be worn out also. Hope i make sense

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Your screwed. You can take all the PTO covers off in hopes of recovering that spring, but when it has happened to me, I've had to dismount the trans and roll it around on the floor, vigorously shaking it to get it out. One thing I have learned about working with ZF's, is that you want to take a big putty knife, and hold it over that lockout tang area when putting the cover on, and then when taking it off, try and do the same in reverse. It requires the same care as I imagine dismantling a bomb might require. cookoo

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Your screwed. You can take all the PTO covers off in hopes of recovering that spring, but when it has happened to me, I've had to dismount the trans and roll it around on the floor, vigorously shaking it to get it out. One thing I have learned about working with ZF's, is that you want to take a big putty knife, and hold it over that lockout tang area when putting the cover on, and then when taking it off, try and do the same in reverse. It requires the same care as I imagine dismantling a bomb might require. cookoo

I have a 2 inch wide putty knife in my box for this exact reason. Only tool I own that is absolutely clean.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AT, Thank You. I took off the pass side inspection cover and the spring fell out.

I guess I lucked out Mel, you had me worried!

So the worn out piece in question I circled in red, where that pivot rod is the body of that housing is worn out making the shifter really sloppy.

Anybody know where I can source one? Or if anyone got a good tight used one ill buy it.

So glad the site is back up!

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
you are going to have to do a little diag to find out what is worn out. None of these pieces were worn out in my tranny yet i had them all apart. The detent i circled rides on the groove that the arrow is pointing toward. Push on that ball with out hand and see if it moves in and out and how much pressure it takes. Mine was fairly stiff if i remember right. It is possible that the piece you circled in red are worn out and causing slop. Like i said you will have to pop the 4 alen bolts off that piece and pop the shaft out. There will be 2 plastic looking squares that the pivot rides on. Take them out of the alum housing and put them back on the shaft pivot. See if they have slop.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic collars in your tower are worn. I'll get a part number in the morning.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys I will order those. There prob is some slop there but I NEED that part that I circled, I dont know if the PO like to power shift or what but the hole where that pin comes through is oval instead of round, thats where most of its coming from.

John Deere

Reaction score
I think it caused in large part by those of us that drive with our hand resting on the gearshift. At least that is what I attribute my wear from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance