Anyone tried Durabak as a bed liner?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been lookin around for a high quality DIY bed liner.

I found one called Durabak. From what I have read it looks to be a very good product that holds up great.

It is about $135 a gallon with sun screen additive and comes in different colors. It can also be tinted with paint so you can match your rig's color.

Wondering if anyone has used Durabak or a similar product and what you think of it and how it has held up.

Thanks,

Aaron

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
go on ebay and do a search for "Liner Extreme"

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,94958.0.html

I got a set for cost as a sponsership for my rock crawler and used it as a tub liner. this stuff is awesome and i will be using it in the bed of my truck after its painted.

only advice i can give is use extra thinner then what they recommend for it to spray on properly

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
never used it in my truck bed, but i did use it on my frame. this will be the second winter under my truck. no peeling as of yet. we'll see how it holds up this winter

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check out the Liner Extreme on eBay. Sounds pretty darn good.

That Durabak stuff is also used to coat the decking on sea going ships and helipads to name a few things it holds up to.

I am not set on using Durabak but it sounds like a good product. I read an online review where the guy used two liner products and he liked the Durabak much better. He was able to apply it easily and didn't have any spots that did bond to the metal. He said it turned out very uniform and so it looked like he had it done by a pro.

Will look at the Linder Extreme tonight and do some research.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
prep is the key...scuff the entire bed with 36 grit sandpaper...make sure there are no shiny surfaces...then wipe the whole thing down with xylene. It will dry and not leave a film. if you spray make sure you mask EVERYTHING in a 4ft radius around the area your working. take a tarp and hang it over the cab between the cab and bed...it will stick to everything! and i mean everything. I managed to glue my air hose to the floor and didn't realize it to the next day. it pulled the outer casing of the hose off when i tried to remove it. you got any questions on this stuff don't hesitate to pm me.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I wanted to hear. I think I will go with Durabak, I found a few more reveiws online and everyone loved it. I think I will roll it on when I do it. I would like 3-4 coats for a good thickness. I may do the bottom 1/4 of the truck all the way around as well. I will see how it goes when I do the bed.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
the thing i dont like about the durabak is its like sandpaper once it drys. the liner extreeme is more smooth and goes on thicker

sassyrel

Reaction score
wouldnt sandpaper be better--as in no slippping of items in bed???

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
not really. the liner extreeme holds just fine in the samurai. the rough sandpaper texture tends to be more of a pain cause it almost grips too much

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note, you can get Durabak with or with the texture or grit in it. You can also get it with sunblock so it doesn't fade or degrade and you can tint it with oil based paint so you can match your truck's color if that floats your boat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online