Anyone put a new harmonic balancer on that stopped vibrations?

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my truck back from the shop and it had a noticeable vibration at 2300 RPM. I basically avoided running at that RPM as much as I could. I told the mechanic and he offered no advice. 2 years later I told him the same thing and he said, "Oh, try another used harmonic balancer." I put it on and it helped a lot for about 2 weeks, but now I have the same level of vibration at 2300 RPM as before.

After a bit of reading I realize that getting a new high end HB can cause real problems and I am tempted to just go to Ford (ouch) for a new MotorCraft HB.

1) Has anyone had a noticeable vibration and gotten rid of it by putting on a stock MotorCraft HB on?
2) Has anyone had a noticeable vibration and gotten rid of it by putting on a higher end HB?
2A) How well did it work?
2B) For how many months has it gotten rid of the vibration?
2C) How hard was it to get it adjusted to your crankshaft?

Thanks,

BigRedWeather

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Probably not much help here.
But that is an interesting subject.

Could one be put on a balancing machine?

Also after a recent thread on flywheels, I would have it balanced also.

But that leaves the question, are the powerstrokes externally balanced, or internally?

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerstroke is externaly balanced ,flywheel =harminac balancer crank as a assembley ,you will not get rid of any vibration by way of the harminic bal unless its been altered somehow ,what was done to the truck in the shop ????

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck had HB1 on engine1. Shop put a used engine2 with HB2 in the truck. I had a pretty good vibration at 2300 RPM and the shop suggested I put HB1 on engine2 that is currently in the truck. The vibration got better for a couple weeks, but then it got as bad as it was with HB2, at the same 2300 RPM.

BigRedWeather

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok now we know its not the harminac balancer ,my best guess the engine is skipping /this is when the engine does not fire on all 8 cyls at increased rpms =2300 this truck has a computer system that can tell you what cyl is not fireing correctly , it is called the koer cylinder contribuiton test start the koer test depress and release the acc pedal once and the brake twice i would start there ,if all cyl are working correctly,still could be starving fuel

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm actually sorta thinking the same thing, but I would do a fuel pressure test at wot. I bet if you installed the fuel line crossover, you wouldn't have it anymore.

You need a auto enginuity to do the above mentioned test.

You may also do the bb mod to see if it goes away.
Clean the fpr screen while you're in there.

I know this sounds like a lot of skip around stuff, but it's correct for how the fuel system is set up.

Which truck is this on?
Year of engine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08