anyone near md wanna make some cash

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
canT get my fuel gauge to work and I have my front tank out would like to finish this truck up so I can get it out of my garage. I give up on trying to find why the fuel gauge will not work gladly will pay someone to come and take a look for me. Located in North East Maryland

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i was closer id do it for free do you have a power probe?did your gauge work before?new sending unit? check wires? theres two ones purple and black i believe might wanna double check.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced the Fuel Selector Valve?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 bucks says the correct FSV will fix your problem.

and the direct replacement valve is cheaper than renting a mechanic :)

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only tried a old fuel sensor valve from the junk yard it still did not move the gauge. I'm kinda leaning to that part cause I think the back tank did go into the front but not 100 percent sure

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, listen up. You have three threads started all for the same issue ---- a bad FSV. Several members have given you detailed descriptions on how to test the wiring, power, etc. It has been stated a few times that gasser valves will not work. You cannot prove that a junkyard part is functioning unless you test it which brings you back to testing your own part.

The fact that your tanks are filling each other and that your gauge is not functioning properly are the only two indicators you need here. The FSV is not working properly!!! Stop messing with grounds and gauges and use the information given to you to replace the valve.

You are chasing all these problems around and you don't need to. Slow down. Re-read the info we have given you. Buy the new valve, put it on, and go
:peelout

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part I tried was from a diesel but you are right and that is the problem with the junkyard what's to say that that one was not bad too. I am just going to order a new fuel sending valve it's only money right. That's what I get for having no mechanical background

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you have the front tank out, do this. Take the fuel sender out of the tank, take a battery jumper cable, hook the Black lead to the battery Negative post, hook the other end to the wire on the underside of the mounting plate, turn the key on, move the float arm up and down, if the gauge don't move, then you have an open connection to the gauge, if gauge don't move, pull the connector off the FSV, jumper the FSV connector from #1 to #3, the cab switch must be selected for the front tank, turn the key on, move the sensor arm up and down, you should get a gauge reading. No reading, gauge is bad or cab switch is bad or connector to cluster is bad or the sender is bad.
If you do getting a gauge reading, then the FSV is bad.

Edit: Make sure the connector at the sensor is not corroded, since neither front or rear sensor works it unlikely.

I told you on your 1st post where to get a new FSV.

Last edited:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part I tried was from a diesel but you are right and that is the problem with the junkyard what's to say that that one was not bad too. I am just going to order a new fuel sending valve it's only money right. That's what I get for having no mechanical background

Neither do I, but when you are strapped and in a tight spot you do what you gotta do. Very detailed instructions have been given on what to do to test the components of your fuel system to determine if the gauge malfunction is related to the FSV. You still have to fix, replace, or remove the FSV you currently have. Once you have done that you can address a gauge problem if you still have one, but I doubt you will.

I have asked for advice on a bunch of issues with my first truck from members of this site. I have solved every issue I have tackled with almost zero previous experience. It's just a matter of slowing down and carefully reading the responses to your questions. Your main issue is the FSV. The gauge is second. Fix, replace, or remove the FSV.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bad valve on my truck right now, but if push comes to shove I will come down there and help you. You need to make a decision on your FSV and follow through with it first. If you get stumped I will help but I can't do it for free. I have a landscaping business and with no snow money is tight.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I'm going to try today and keep you posted can you believe ford wants 500 for the fsv here! I called to check today figured be fastest place to get it in

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no mechanical background and being a cheap ass dont mix! :D
the first lesson on wrenching is
GET THE RIGHT PART.
or you will never enjoy wrenching.
as a novice, youre going to have to shell out the clams.
just a fact of life,
we all hate it too!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no mechanical background and being a cheap ass dont mix! :D
the first lesson on wrenching is
GET THE RIGHT PART.
or you will never enjoy wrenching.
as a novice, youre going to have to shell out the clams.

Hey hey HEY!!! I am not mechanically inclined and not cheap but POOR as HELL and they mix just FINE!!! I didn't shell out clams I REMOVED THE BAD CLAM:sly $200+ for that POS valve? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! $60 for both ball valves and $30 for enough diesel fuel line to run it to my feet and some band clamps to hold it together. I spent another $60? on fuel line to replace all of my 20 year old fuel line. So for $100 less than the FSV I got a more reliable system with updated fuel line AND complete control ;Really

Now, IDIoit gimme back my GD money tree so I can buy some INJECTORS!!!:D

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey hey HEY!!! I am not mechanically inclined and not cheap but POOR as HELL and they mix just FINE!!! I didn't shell out clams I REMOVED THE BAD CLAM:sly $200+ for that POS valve? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! $60 for both ball valves and $30 for enough diesel fuel line to run it to my feet and some band clamps to hold it together. I spent another $60? on fuel line to replace all of my 20 year old fuel line. So for $100 less than the FSV I got a more reliable system with updated fuel line AND complete control ;Really

Now, IDIoit gimme back my GD money tree so I can buy some INJECTORS!!!:D

NEVER!!!!!:shoot:

HAY! i never criticize the low buck chuck! ive been there! and after 23ish years of wrenching, if found a way to capitalize on it!
my job does not pay for my parts,(besides tax returns) flipping cars, parts and fab work does!
but the fact remains, some amount of cash is going to have to be spent!
i told him to go the mechanical route! but you cannot argue the fact that the correct FSV, is the easiest solution!
6 lines, 6 clips, 2 bolts and a connector. i had the same problem as the OP.
i sold 20 car models that i bought at a storage auction to purchase that badboy.
fixed everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online