Anyone ever broke a crankshaft?

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on here in quite awhile, anyways my truck was running great all winter even cold starting -20! It was sitting for about a month and I put a jug of fuel in because it was low. It started up and I had it running for about an hour that night.

The next day it started right up and drove 15 miles to town, ran great parked at gas station, got fuel. I restarted it and instantly started knocking. It was a little low on oil so I bought some and it was still knocking. I tried to limp home and it locked up.
Long story short crankshaft busted in two, didnt see antifreeze in cylinders but I don't have pistons all the way out yet.

Sad to say I'm parting her out as she needed lots of little things. Any ideas, water in fuel? My water in fuel light isn't working so that didnt help any. The fuel looks fine. I think I saw some water in the bottom of the oil. Just curious if anyone else has broke one of these? I'm not ******* it either.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would look at # 6-7-8 for holes in cyl wall. If you suddenly got cavitation, probably would have knocked on startup, but usually it locks up on start. Since you have the heads off, what does the gaskets look like, is one blown out, to cause anti freeze to leak in when you stopped at the station?

Shame that had to happen, nice looking truck.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a crank break in a 2.6 mMitsubishi 25 yrs ago. a girlfriends dad had a 318 crank break in a dodge van motorhome.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of those four was due to the vehicle being in an accident, near as we could tell.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Breaking a crank is rare happening. Some have felt it happens more in the factory turbo engines and maybe it does. But without having the break looked at to determine the why it broke is not conclusive enough to say only the turbo factory engines break cranks. Looking at a fracture line under high power microscopes tells plenty as to why something broke. Personally I feel the broken cranks had a flaw in them during manufacture. If a crank is reground and the rod or main bearing radius is not done correctly you set up a stress crack area. The reason for a radius there is to reduce the stress. A sharper radius is a sure way to break a crank.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Funny guy, huh? Lol
Mine never broke.
What happens is the main webs Crack. A lot of them are like that and still pumping strong.
Can't remember the year, think one had weaker cranks, but that problem was easily overcome.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures would be nice. If you can cut out the broken section and sent to me I may be able to do some more high power analysis on it....