Anybody still using the stock water seperator on the firewall?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Mine was bypassed when I bought it, but I've been thinking about hooking it back up. I know there are better options, but this is already in place and free. I'm aware of their issues, but it anyone still using one with little trouble?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many folks are. Both my '86 rigs are running 7.3 filter heads and filter/water separators. Both the old stock separators are long gone to the landfill.LOL

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Like Heath said most are ditching it and going with the 7.3 filter head. Since I've opted to keep the 6.9 filter heads as I have a source for Baldwin filter @ $5.00 each, I've got a Racor water/fuel separator I've gotten from Conestoga to replace the factory 6.9 water separator with.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I replaced mine with one from an early 6.2 chevy

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
82 6.2 trucks had 2 spin on filters. my favorite year too.. one year only. last year of turn signals in bumper and first year of 6.2L also a rare one is a 82 k5 2wd diesel blazer.

anyways! i had a 87 truck with it and it worked fine until i tried to drain it. -cuss so it was replaced with a aftermarket unit..

i like 6.9L filter heads and im running one now on my 7.3L

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I used one up until last year. Worked great to, no leaks. I only replaced it because I had a Racor 225 sitting around waiting to be used. I don't like the 7.3 style header as they are seem to develop leaks quite often....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I have the stock one still in place. It is gone as soon as I have a problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those were a problem so most are gone now. Seems once you drained them the would start leaking air. then the engine was hard to start. Bypassing them in my opinnion was a bad idea. Installing the 7.3 filter head was a good upgrade and filter are easy to find but expensive for what they are. As for the 7.3 filter heads being leakers I don't see that. I know the heater may leak but thats an easy repair or modicification too. Just remove it and plug the hole with JB Weld or drill and plug it. No real reason has been found for the heater to work anyway and I don't think anyone has tested the fuel temp in or out of the filter.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got through upgrading my 7.3 filter head. I had a leaky heater, and a leaky water separator drain that developed after an injector swap. I could leave the truck overnight and when I would take the filter off, it would be an inch or more low of fuel. I'd say that is some air intrusion. I found that swapping the stock type filter for a wix 33417 filter eliminated the drain leak. I removed the fuel heater all together, tapped the hole out with a 1/2 in NPT tap. Then installed a square head 1/2 inch NPT pipe plug in the hole and now I have no more starting problems. I guess I should have taken some pictures to document this, but I am not patient enough. I want it fixed right now....

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stocker is still in place, no issues whatsoever in MN rust - 160K on it and still working. I never drain it - don't know how, lol. It runs and pulls my trailer, therefor its must be fine :D

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
A cheap fix if you want to keep it is add a 1/4 turn ball valve with a piece of fuel hose to the bottom. That way if it starts leaking when you pull the pin to drain the valve you can just turn the ball valve to prevent any more air intrusion from happening.