Anybody ever done the Gov. Lever adjustment?

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
You know the one on Piers site? I've asked around and it is what I need to do. I'm just wondering if it's a hard task or not. My good friend who helps me out with my truck is going through rough times and I'm hesitant to bother him for a bit. I printed off Piers' directions and they seem straight forward enough. I did pull the whole thing apart to slide my #11 plate back to stock position and looked at pulling the back cover off of the pump. There are straight head screws with some sort of bailing wire "don't go in here" apparatus that came off in about 2 seconds with some pliers, but I couldn't get the screws to budge. I'll work on getting a better tool to get the screws off, but once in there, is it tough to adjust that screw right?
BTW with the #11 in either the full forward or stock position, the truck performs well to about 1/2 pedal, after that it doesn't seem to make any difference. Runs smooth, just doesn't perform any better than at 1/2 pedal.

98rammer

Reaction score
hmmm, what are you hitting for boost? as i found out a long while ago, the arm goes up by rpm, not boost--due to how the governor assembly works...doh!:idiot:

yeah, i've done the lever adjustment, that's how i lost my first pump there. the directions are pretty straight forward, however, i'd recommend using a mirror and *make sure you tighten the lock nut tight!!* i also had a hard time breaking the screws the first time. i can't remember...i may have used a short screwdriver and some visegrips...i think.

did you have to take the fuel filter off?

Tom

Whit

Reaction score
Tom, glad to see ya here!!! Looks like a bombing party for Tim, Reb and Tom is in the makings............wish I could come down drink a beer and learn some more good stuff ....................besides I need to show you fellers my new 19.5's and my side impact rails.

Cheers, Kevin

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I'm headed over to R.ebel's shop on Sat. to do the lever adjustment. I know the fuel filter housing is in the way, more than just the filter bowl. I'll have to take a closer look and see if it'd be worth the hastle of taking that hole thing off. I've gotta get this thing powered up for our convoy to ATS in a couple weeks.:D Just enough to follow the smoke trail anyway's:rock: ;burnout

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
save some hassle

Best to give Piers a call call. Some aftermarket plates, not sure which ones, don't need the arm adjustment. Piers can tell you though.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I talked to Piers a while back and told him how it was running. He said to do the adjustment.

Well we did the adjustment yesterday. Holy ****!!! It's amazing how turning that tiny little screw makes all the difference. Before the lever was engaging the plate near the very bottom. I turned the screw 'out' about 4-5 turns and it now engages about 1/2 way up the first ramp. (#11 plate)
Before when stomped on, the truck would jump up to 20 psi, then climb to 24-26 psi while climbing rpm's. Now, it almost instantly jumps to 30. And excelleration is UNBELEIVABLE.
Took it to the local test hill where you pass a delineator post at the bottom at 40 mph, nail it and note gauges at the top where there is a sign. Before, I'd just be hitting 5th gear and going 65-67 mph. Yesterday only had time for one run on the way home and was going 82 mph.
Big big difference, I now feel like I'm getting my $$ worth out of my bombs. I'm happier than a puppy with 2 peters!!:D :D :D

Only thing that went wrong was the 10mm deep socket popped off the ratchet while trying to find the nut on the adjustment screw to tighten it back down and it dropped down in the pump. We got those screws loose on the back of the pump with a small set of vise grips, they were too tight to get loose with the tiny screw driver we were using. They stick out enough, just got on the side of them with the grips and smooth sailing from there.

A big thanks to Richard aka R.ebel:thanks: :rock:

Whit

Reaction score
Tim, sounds like a ripper now, dont get carried away with the 2 peter thing though :sorry: hehehehehehehe

Cheers, Kevin

Jeff H.

Reaction score
One thing about adjusting that. Make sure you tighten everything up good. Lot of vibration in there. If any thing comes loose. It will do several thousands of dollars in damage.:fan:

98rammer

Reaction score
Originally posted by Whitmore
Tom, glad to see ya here!!! Looks like a bombing party for Tim, Reb and Tom is in the makings............wish I could come down drink a beer and learn some more good stuff ....................besides I need to show you fellers my new 19.5's and my side impact rails.

Cheers, Kevin

ah, kevin, i'm back in Maine now. ...had a lot of things i didn't like about the school.;Pissed Diesels will probably just stay my hobby. maybe i'll see yas at Muncie (if i can make it this year Pissed :confused:)

yeah jeff, i spoke with another member on the tdr who had his pump lock up because of the same thing, luckily i could driv emine...it just idled at 1700rpms.:shoot:

Tom

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeff H.
One thing about adjusting that. Make sure you tighten everything up good. Lot of vibration in there. If any thing comes loose. It will do several thousands of dollars in damage.:fan:

Uh ok. Well I'll prolly pull it apart again, I'm messing with plate location anyways. Got it 1/2 way forward now and seems good, but it's cold out and I'm not pullin as heavy as I do in the summer. worst case scenario I jerk the pump off and send it off with a check to have it piersified.;)

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
The clutch is holding up momentarily. My wife came home the other day from driving it and said there was something wrong with it. She said the ass end kept coming around on her when she shifted:D On DRY Pavement!!:eek:

The clutch is begging for mercy right now as I am eyeing them 370's.

Ym1110d

Reaction score
For the record, after adjusting my lever the results were pretty much the same. Big difference. The problem came in after installing some governor springs. Apparently, the springs cause the lever to move so it was hanging below the plate. The engine wasn't fueling and wasn't producing much boost. Just DO NOT back that screw out too far!!!!! It will take you hours to put it back in! If you do back it out, hold the throttle wfo with a piece of wire. This will cause the linkage to rotate so you can start the screw. Now push the screw into a piece of hose and use the hose to start the screw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online