Any Y-pipe options?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new to me 85 has a rotted out y pipe. I checked with my fave exhaust shop in town, and they're talking $600+ to do a decent single exhaust, or close to $700 for a straight set of duals. I remember doing duals on a 90 7.3 10 years ago for $225 lol. Also, Banks used to make a Stinger y-pipe and muffler/tail pipe. Just wondering what options exist otherwise.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get 2.5" ball fittings and 2.5" dual inlet 3" single outlet Y from summit since shops mark up those fittings like crazy. Then order and install an OBS PSD axle back on the hangers and strap into place. Cut off whatever old stuff you need to make room for the new axleback.

Then drive to a shop with fittings in hand and have them fab from manifold to axle back. Should be much much cheaper that way.

$600 for a 100% custom exhaust with all parts from their stock, with muffler and tip, really isn't unreasonable.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may not be a popular option, but after my Y pipe I built a custom system with 3" piping, band clamps, a muffler meant for an International tractor that flows through, and the tail section came from my brother's 94 Cummins. The pipe is 3", in excellent shape since he had replaced it not long ago and just went with a Diamond system, and the arch fits with room over the rear axle and angles to the back. I may have pieced it together, but it's not a bunch of little pieces scabbed together, just an adapter to the 3" pipe and a stub from the muffler to the rear tailpipe. Add your clamps and hangers and you have a really nice system for hardly anything.

When times are tight you can still do a nice looking job. I'll see if I can find pictures...

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the linked y pipe from Summit. So far half of it showed up. Small piece is backordered. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll post up whenever I'm able to get it installed.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to get a good picture of the y pipe with the massive and hideous plow mount in the way.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, if im gonna run N/A,
i would do a set of headers.
and make my own 2.5-3" dual exhaust to the rear axle.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. There really isn't a great spot, is there. They need to be up front as far as possible so you'd have to compromise somehow, perhaps by having a pipe bent to loop under something. Probably easiest to run twin pipes side by side up front, install an X and then run the pipes out to each side in back as you could. I suppose I wouldn't be against side by side outlets either.

Now that I think about this, maybe a big single is best. If you can't install a crossover, duals are pretty inefficient flow and scavenging-wise, so a big single is better. Joining the pipes up front then becomes the key so nice connections need to be used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat