ANY of Our Members Live Near Alice, TX??

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friends,

I found another 6.9 IDI today (a 1987 bonus cab F250) near Alice, Texas that needs a couple of parts installed, so that I can drive it to san Antonio.

I'll pay cash to one of our folks to do the job, IF we have anyone nearby, who can install a new injection pump & engine oil cooler OR if any of our folks knows a competent mechanic there, I'd like a recommendation.

yours, satx

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil cooler is NOT a small job. you don't just "do" that one on a driveway. quick and dirty will involve the truck vomiting it's coolant and oil all over you.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat,

OK & THANKS.

The on-line video LOOKS easy, anyway. - My BAD.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I wonder if mine has been changed? I haven’t looked underneath, but I noticed an oil cooler behind the grill. Yes, oil. It’s dripping a little from one of the fittings.

I see radiator, condenser, radiator cooler, oil cooler. The oil cooler is the smallest, about the size of a small aftermarket transmission cooler.

Is it typical for people to do that instead of fixing the oem?
Maybe it’s factory even, this is the HD version of the truck.

I had a transmission shop fix my Mom’s leaking transmission cooler on her Taurus with a bigger aftermarket one because the dinky factory one sprung a leak. It was cheaper than buying another OEM part. I was far out of state so I asked them to do it over the phone. It didn’t even occur to them to do it, it seems. They were fine with doing it though.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if mine has been changed? I haven’t looked underneath, but I noticed an oil cooler behind the grill. Yes, oil. It’s dripping a little from one of the fittings.

I see radiator, condenser, radiator cooler, oil cooler. The oil cooler is the smallest, about the size of a small aftermarket transmission cooler.

Is it typical for people to do that instead of fixing the oem?
Maybe it’s factory even, this is the HD version of the truck.

I had a transmission shop fix my Mom’s leaking transmission cooler on her Taurus with a bigger aftermarket one because the dinky factory one sprung a leak. It was cheaper than buying another OEM part. I was far out of state so I asked them to do it over the phone. It didn’t even occur to them to do it, it seems. They were fine with doing it though.

Where’s this cooler mounted? On my 92, the factory auxiliary transmission cooler is on the passenger side top, grille side of the radiator and about the size of a carton of cigarettes..........

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Where’s this cooler mounted? On my 92, the factory auxiliary transmission cooler is on the passenger side top, grille side of the radiator and about the size of a carton of cigarettes..........

About in that spot. Maybe I’m wrong but it looked like it had a big transmission cooler behind that, then the condenser and radiator. But being extended cab, long bed, and HD (235 tires spec on the door jamb) maybe it got extra cooling from the factory.

I’ll try to remember to take a picture later. It’s in the shop getting a driveshaft carrier bearing replaced at this moment.