Any interest in a zinc electroplating tech 101?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the title says. I'm electroplating most of my steel parts to fend off the rust monster. It serves as a sacrificial anode like a boat. I'm essentially galvanizing the stuff. If there is enough interest, I'll do a full write up. If not I won't. Here's some parts. The overload bracket is in bare steel for comparison.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not polishing anything just a good coating to put primer on.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good im doing tsc tractor enamel when I restore my rusty under carriage to nice black .

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard with clear its rock hard I rolled it on a hood on my rock buggy it laid flat as rattle can I was impressed.tell me how it works for you .are u spraying it or rattle it

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know the basic but a nice write up would be sticky worthy

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What is the application method. Is it a spray can application or are you soaking it in a bath. I have several parts from my 1937 Cord I want to cadmium plate. I have been researching how to build this from simple home tools and it looks easy. I also found an easy way to rid parts of rust too. Found several baths to get rid of rust using a simple battery charger and molasses and water.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm doing it electrolytically. Chemical bath with adjustable power supply driven by battery charger.

Cadmium plating is tough Gary. Unless you are going for concourse (which with the Cord, you might be) I would suggest an alternative. I believe most people are doing zinc with a chromate finish to get something similar to a cad finish. The big reason for me doing zinc is that the chemicals are really mild and readily available.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I'd like to see a write up....along with a discussion of the of the pros and cons of various plating methods and materials.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert by any means but I'll see what I can do. Have to go dig up my references. :)

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
laserjock,
Let the rain beat the snow down. It gets heavier, but not so deep. We had about 16"-18", but now less than a foot. More on the way.