Any interest in a south Texas meet?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was reading about Icanfixalls problems with the timing meter and someone mentioned doing a timing meet. Was just curious if any of the guys here in south TX want to do a get together and check and adjust as needed timing and anything else that needs done?

I know Jam0o0 needs his truck timed when he gets it back together and I have the tools to do anything from change a belt to rebuild a transmission here at the house and in my service truck. I also have a small stockpile of parts trucks on hand and nearby.

I currently have a Ferret timing tool and a good timing light that I'm playing with and numerous mt480s for timing if you know the cetane of fuel. I'm down in Beaumont and if anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too sure yet. Need to get some feedback from everyone about who would like to come. I normally drive my service truck so I'll have most of my tools on hand including an air compressor. Hopefully no one gives me too much flack about driving a Chevy. I thought about doing it at my house in Beaumont since all my spare parts trucks are there and I'm on two acres of ground with several parts stores VERY close by but it would mean most people are going to be driving at minimum 70 miles. You being up in Brashear would mean about a 5 hour drive each way. Will check about maybe a place in Conroe or in that area so it would be more centralized to South Texas.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have to drive to Baytown to go to work from hear. Beaumont wouldn't be a problem. US 69 is just 11 miles south of me and is a good road all the way. If you would let me sleep in the truck some where on the 2 acres that would make it even easier?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good grief did you have a long commute. Would have no problem with you sleeping in the truck if you wanted.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it was but I only had to do it once a month. I was a tankerman working on Towboats down there and later a wheelman. And thanks After sleeping on those boats anything is comfortable. I hope you can get enough interest in this get together.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. If this gathering works out I will send a meter to you. The regular fee will be waved and a reduced fee of $30.00 for the meter use per truck seems like a fair price. This may work out better for everyone that can form up a meet and time secession. It looks like maybe a timing meet is getting put togehter up in Oregon too. You guys know I'm all for helping out with the timing isses we have. I can't see why a dealership wont or can't time our simple engines. Out her in cali I know of one idi shop and they charge $120.00 and only tell you its done by the pulse method and between 6.5 and 8.5... Factory specs..:eek: And thats how its written in the factory books... That sucks for sure. I'm not in this to make a living off the rental program. I just feel a fee is required to cover my costs. Being retired I have the time to spend on this.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok we have two people interested so far. Gary I'll leave it up to the guys if they want to get one of your meters to be on site for this. I know how much they cost and personally abhor the idea about being responsible for one.

As I said above I have several mt480s and a ferret pulse adapter with a good timing light so either method is doable. Just scored a snappy pulse adapter of ebay uk shipped to me for 34 dollars. It will be set up with the pulse clamp to work on a cummins fuel line. Funny thing is I got the Ferret to have a rpm signal for dyno runs. With enough interest I might be able to swing access to a dyno also. It's just a dynojet but we'll get true HP and TQ numbers using the Ferret to supply a rpm signal.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel for you on the weird work shift. When this gets set up I'm enforcing a "Don't call me call a wrecker" rule at work for when it happens. I get calls all hours of the day and night from idiot drivers that have broken something out on the road.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Would love to but im puttin in an average of 50-55 hours at work and goin to college full time as well so it would be hard to swing, keep this goin and when people throw out a date I will try to make it but I cant put a date out because with the way things are goin I dont know what days are good