Any Advice Willl Do

powerhungry07

Reaction score
:dunno my '97 f250 powerstroke is giving me some fits. in ohio the mercury dipped to abot 16 degrees although cold this past week just replaced my primary battery which had half of the ccas needed while the other was 200cca over rating,last night it would crank and thats it it crankd tilll my battery died im at a loss. On top of that when the temp was above freezing my gas gauge went all the way to full althoiugh i had a lot less and past it till it bottomeed out.:puke: also it feels as if im lackluster performace compare to what it was.and lastly randomly my check engine light will come on and shrotly go off but normallly when that happens i loose all throtle as in its to the floor but im coasting at idle.and the code isnt bing stored ive had it checked soi i have to catch it in the act which is hard when it doesnt las tfor a min ute

aaklingler

Reaction score
Do you plug it in? Have you checked your glow plug system? It sounds like you need to pull codes.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a fuel issue to me if when starting it doesent make anysmoke at all out the pipe after all that cranking then its probly a fuel issue, but i would plug it in

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the light comes on, the code is stored. What are you using for a scan tool?

Is your GP circuit is good order, new plugs and new relay? Have you tried jumping the relay?

Its not advised to change one battery at a time, when one goes..the other is in need of replacement as well.

Check the nut/wire connection on the back of the IPR, the truck intermittently going to idle almost sounds like the IPR is unloading all your HPO.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Any smole while trying to start? If yes you had smoke then your problem is heat as in you need some and ain't got it most likely is your glow plug relay and next would be glow plugs. If no smoke then your not getting fuel to the cylinders which can be a fuel problem or an oil problem. The going to idle at speed could also be your pedal position sensor which will only let the truck idle and will set the CEL

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If the light comes on, the code is stored. What are you using for a scan tool?

Is your GP circuit is good order, new plugs and new relay? Have you tried jumping the relay?

Its not advised to change one battery at a time, when one goes..the other is in need of replacement as well.

Check the nut/wire connection on the back of the IPR, the truck intermittently going to idle almost sounds like the IPR is unloading all your HPO.

Rite above in bold. Id start there. as for the idle while foored prob, sound like the pedal sensor. Not too uncommon of a failure.
Ken

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Check your oil level! If its a gallon low it will starve the HPOP and injectors for oil. :)oops: I wouldn't know this from experience :D)

powerhungry07

Reaction score
Awesome guys thank you so much. i got the truck to bumb start tonight and got it home after that all im getting is a click so the starter is getting checkd soon. as for the glow plugs they are getting replaced asap

powerhungry07

Reaction score
i took the truck to local advanced and they used i believe a actron scanner less than 10 kminutes after the llight and they told me no codes so only options is for ford to check it out.and when i had the batt checked the \primary 850 cca was reading 425 cca and full charge and the second 850ccca was reading 1025cca and full chartrge so i didnt see a reason to change the secondary and i will check the IPR

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is old school common wisdom, but batteries should always be of the same rating and replaced as a pair. There really is no such thing as a primary/secondary. You need em' both, especially in cold weather. The imbalance you have could cause your charging system not to perform adaquately and you could have battery problems constantly.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The relay is on top of the motor beside the fuel filter housing on the passenger side. Use a volt meter or test light but check both big posts to see if it has power to one of them. Then turn the key on and now check to see that both of them have power. Even though the light goes out after a few seconds the relay and plugs stay energized for about 90 seconds. If both big lugs have power when the key is on the relay is good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online