Any advice to anyone wanting to start pulling hot-shot?

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been considering doing some kind of towing/hauling for hire to help pay off my loans once I graduate college. While I'm here I'm gonna get my CDL. What all is entailed in getting prepared to do something like this?

Phantom309

Reaction score
That is one sweet cab. That'd be nice to have for when mamma throws me out.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I think I would have started out with an standard cab or extended cab for that truck instead of a full crew cab.That is a long way to crawl to get to the sleeper.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, once I have a suitable truck, what bases need covered next?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DOT and MCC numbers. Proper insurance.. Plan on a grand in start up fees.

Can't get the MCC w/o the ins number.

STAY OFF USHIP!!!!!!!! Unless it beats a dead head... People there get excited at the thought of paying $.25 a mile to have a car hauled from Anchorage to Miami. ANd lose interest if you need more than $.40 a mile for your bid.

Literal example, Seattle to LA, 1965 Ford Econoline van, target was $300.

However do go to Uship, log in, and go the forum.. good tips from other drivers there.
Learn alot about being legal, and occasionalyy get tips to decent load boards.

My last load a year and a half ago, illegal of course, I know better now, and don't haul..., I ended up clearing $.10 a mile after fuel and on the road expenses. I sleep in the truck,a nd eat at truck stops once a day, to give you an idea of how minimal those expenses were. Half the loads cancelled that I had booked, as the other half wouldn't get committed in time to make the first halfs dead lines.. and I cleared $275 for a run from Boise to St. George UT, to Redding, to ST. George, back to Boise.. with a leg to Blackfoot on the start Journey, which added to the mileage.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys will have to forgive me if some of the questions seem stupid and/or repetitive, as I simply don't know.
What's the easiest way to go about getting the three items Clydesdale mentioned (DOT# and MCC#)? Is it just as simple as going to my local license bureau, or do I have to go through some form of state/federal channel? Who is a good provider of this type of insurance?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D.epartment O.f T.ransportation

Motor Carrier something or other... Google.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-OP.htm

This might be worthwhile, only skimmed, seemingly its about $300 for you to do it yourself, the extra $89 may or mayn't be worth it.. IDK.

http://www.truckersbookkeepingservice.com/?gclid=CMOAmanjqaUCFRBzgwodIRZeZw

These guys seem exorbiatnt... but here is another link.

http://c2cservices.com/

Again, I believe you can do it your self for $300, and the form is pretty simple, what kinda freight, your business format, etc. I filled out the form I believe, was just short of the cash the night I did. Was always gonna have that one last BIG illegal run, and then get legal, and the $$ margin kept getting smaller and smaller and smaller....

As far as insurance, call your auto owners policy holders, tell them what you are aspiring to do. They can help, or they can't. Typically if they can't, they will send you in the right direction. AmFam couldn't help me, but farmers was ready with the commercial quote wqhen I called them two weeks ago.. Kicking the idea around myself...

Wife said I could if I printed the Divorce papers first, so she could have them ready to file with what I made when I got back.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two guys on this board is making a living at hauling.
1) Tonkadoc. He hauls rv's.
2) Apextrans. He hauls cars.
pm both and hope they have a minute to give you an idea what it's really like out there.
Imho, it's something to try once. Your odds are better if you're single, like paperwork, and miserable work hours.
I was official running intrastate, but ran illegal outside of state lines.
how? magnetic signs are your friend. My advice, don't do it. Everything's computerized these days. Kali is big enough where you can make a living without leaving the borders;Sweet Your state may be very different.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and on you costs.. figure yer worst case mileage to date, as best, plan on an equal amount for maintenance, round here, that would be $.62 a mile just to start the truck.. then plan (esp. in the winter) of an average road speed of 50 or less... Cali, for instance, mandated 55mph once you strap a trailer to yer ass, if you get bogged down speed wise due to snow in Northern Cal, you are NOT going to make back anytime. St. George to Reno once (last trip) took like 12 hours, Highway 395 I think (loneliest road in America, it has signs that tell you that, was featured on TopGear) showed shortest distance A to B, 25 mph was my average... miserable miserable..

Basically you have to rethink everything you ever learned about time from points A to B.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the single, on the road with my dog, and my OBS IDI, that part was great.

Seeing the different things was amazing.. truck quit in Bakersfield, at the intersection of I whatever (the off ramp) and Merle Haggard Blvd... How poetic was that...?

As towcat said, definitely something to try once.

I look at Uship, now, when it gets rough here, I just got laid off, she got garnished, and hours cut back.. lotsa freight SLC to LA/Frisco and back.. and in between.

Tempting to go banzai a 4-5 day run, and clear a grand. U-haul trailers, Motorcycles in the bed, Dogs in the cab....

But then the last run, where I was gone 4 long almost 5 days, and cleared (didn't refuel the truck after the run, so not even accurate) that I cleared the $.10 hits me inthe face, and I realize, that until I can get set up right, e.g operating authority, and a decent trailer (30' at least, two cars, etc).. it is foolish to consider it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... if you get bogged down speed wise due to snow in Northern Cal, you are NOT going to make back anytime. St. George to Reno once (last trip) took like 12 hours, Highway 395 I think (loneliest road in America, it has signs that tell you that, was featured on TopGear)...
the only reason why you were on 395 was because you were running illegal:eek::D
let's be honest here;Sweet