Another winch bumper option for 92-96 trucks

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been wanting a bumper to mount the 12k warn ive had in storage for years but just havent found anything i really liked for 92-96 style trucks, not that there are many options out there.
Warn used to make some nice ones, but they have been discontinued as well as a few other companies that made winch type bumpers.
RanchHand stuff really never impressed me, it was super expensive new, with crappy welds and cheap finishes(Painted, not powdercoated.)
Reunel makes nice ones, but their lead time for production and overall availability was non-existant.
Bronco Graveyard had some nice stuff, but nothing with grill/light protection and powder coating was an additional expense if i rember correctly.

Ive always had ARB bumpers on all my Land Cruisers, a Tacoma, and even a Range Rover once. They are top notch quality and tough as nails. They just didnt make any for Fords until the Super Duty came out. They did make one for 87-91 Broncos back in the early 90's but according to their design manager they only sold like 15 of them in 5 years, so production ended quickly.

This bumper was intended for a 88-98 Chevy ARB bar #3462030. I made it work on my truck.
I used very little of the chevy mounting parts included in the kit w/ the bumper with the exception of 2 triangular nut plates.

I just cut off my stock bumper brackets(read: PITA!), drilled some holes thru the frame and bumper and mounted it up.
I had to cut just a small amount of steel from the bumper on the corners to get it to clear the contours of the truck better, but no big deal..........
Overall the thing fit damn near like a glove. Its just a tad on the small side width wise but beggars cant be choosers.
Here are some pics-

Attachments

• frame rails.JPG
    frame rails.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 23
  • frame rails 2.JPG
    frame rails 2.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 17
  • arb 5.JPG
    arb 5.JPG
    512 KB · Views: 26
  • bumper bracket.JPG
    bumper bracket.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 24
  • arb 1.JPG
    arb 1.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 52
  • arb 2.JPG
    arb 2.JPG
    555.4 KB · Views: 47
  • arb 3.JPG
    arb 3.JPG
    415.2 KB · Views: 43
  • arb 4.JPG
    arb 4.JPG
    588.3 KB · Views: 32
  • arb mounting.JPG
    arb mounting.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 29
  • arb nut plate.JPG
    arb nut plate.JPG
    462.6 KB · Views: 33

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after I mount the winch, im going to make some strengthening gussets and plates to weld from the bumper to the frame as well as a cross brace between the inside edges of the bumper and frame with some 1-5/8" DOM for side to side support. Looks good I think.......

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that's a Chevy intended piece, looks like it was born there.

Very nice job and write up ;Sweet

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
That looks awesome :love: I've always been a huge fan of the ARB bull bars--looks like it was made for your truck ;Really

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, but that would never fly here. It blocks the front blinkers

Just out of curiosity, if you wired the indicators supplied with the bumper to your turn signals would that be legit? Thats the way ive always wired mine............:dunno

I know those inspections yall go thru up there can literally mean the last dance for our trucks of advancing age, especially when rust takes over, but never knew they looked for things like that Brad..............

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
O, I thought those lights in the bumper were fog/driving lights. If they are blinkers, they would be legal here.

Yes, Inspections cab be a real pain. If you have fog lights on the truck, they BETTER work or if fails. How asinine is that, an AUXILIARY light has to work

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea Darrin, thats one of the limited run that ARB had for the 87-91 Broncos. Apparently they only made like 15 or so. Back then, ARB wasn't widely distributed stateside and to get one you had to find a dealer and order one and play the waiting game for it to come from their factory in Australia. I still would love to see a pic of the backside of that bumper to see how it mounted........

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yea Darrin, thats one of the limited run that ARB had for the 87-91 Broncos. Apparently they only made like 15 or so. Back then, ARB wasn't widely distributed stateside and to get one you had to find a dealer and order one and play the waiting game for it to come from their factory in Australia. I still would love to see a pic of the backside of that bumper to see how it mounted........

WOW one of 15,..Had I known that I wold have pulled it and put on a stock bumper on to sell the truck,..Then hung onto it for future projects,...oh well.

Sorry to say I have no other pics of that,

Again nice job on yours! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online